• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Rod - Spline?

Try putting some tape on it and marks. It might not have the normal pop, but it also might have slight pop you could visibly see.

Can you take it back and try a different blank?

When I pick out my blank I always check the spline there and find one with my desired preference.

Try putting some tape on it and marks. It might not have the normal pop, but it also might have slight pop you could visibly see.

Can you take it back and try a different blank?

When I pick out my blank I always check the spline there and find one with my desired preference.

Good idea on the tape. I'll try that.

Can't get a different blank - no more quiversticks for the 10-11 season they say.

I would call Lonnie at the shop but my guess is you may not find one on a quiverstick blank. Thier rods are made to very tight specs by a company that makes stuff for NASA.

From my experience with ice rod blanks, some have super noticible spines, but most do not.

I just messed around with the two quiverstick rods I have and cant find a bump. grin

There's no right or wrong way to orient the spine, it doesn't hurt to build on it but it also doesn't provide any advantage. The level arm effect of the guides will always overtake any effect of the spine.

I always build on the straightest axis.

The spine is a result of the graphite cloth being overlapped. In the situation of an ice blank with a small diameter and shorter length, that overlap isn't nearly as great.

Finding the spline is mainly done to improve casting and reduce tip twist under load (mainly a casting rod issue). Alignment with the spine keeps the tip straight in line with the guides, thereby eliminating or reducing tip wobble and rotation. Another method to find the spline that may help is to "gently anchor" the rod to a table with the tip overhanging. Mount some weight onto the tip using a loop and string. Then set the tip in motion. If it moves straight up and down, it is with the spine. If it rotates, you need to rotate the tip till you find the straight up and down motion.

But, I don't think you need to worry about it in your situation.