• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's that time of the year again...BWCA Lottery.

Quote:
There are some tough permits to get in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, especially for popular entry points and holidays.

A lot of canoeists might not know there is an early lottery held for some of those tough-to-get permits.The application period opened Dec. 1 and closes Jan. 15, 2011.

The lottery provides the first opportunity for visitors to reserve a BWCAW permit for the coming season.

Like all BWCAW applications, you must set up an account on www.recreation.gov to enter the lottery. Results can be viewed online between Jan. 16 and Jan. 20.

You can only apply online. Folks who used to fax or mail their applications or pay by check or money order are out of luck. It's all electronic these days; you can only pay by credit card.

Beginning Jan. 20, you can apply for permits on a first-come, first-served basis, also at www.recreation.gov.

Reservations may be made by phone beginning Feb. 1, 2011 by calling the new National Recreation Reservation Service toll-free number at (877) 444-6777.

According to the Superior National Forest, "The BWCAW lottery was established to fairly distribute available quotas for entry dates and entry points where demand exceeds availability.

"For those who know their desired entry date and location well in advance, the lottery offers an early opportunity to make a reservation. In the lottery process, permits are awarded through a computer-generated, random selection."

Ted, are you asking about a permit for a trip in April or May or getting the permit in April or May for a later date? If for a trip in April, you can use a self issueing permit if you aren't traveling by motor. These are at entry points. If you are looking at getting the permit reservation in April or May to use later in the summer, you might not get your first choice of an entry point or date. The reservation HSOforum is pretty easy to use.

Thanks. I'm not sure when exactly I want to venture up there yet, but it won't likely be until the end of May or June sometime. It's my first time considering a BWCA trip, so I appreciate the info in this thread.

Happy Holidays,

Ted

Ted....

First off, it's pretty rare that the lakes are free of ice in April up there. May is a decent time, pretty much no bugs and the crowds havn't shown up yet. It might be difficult to get permits for the better known fishing areas on the fishing opener and Memorial day weekend. And once June rolls around and school is out, there is a greater influx of school groups, church groups and Boy Scout groups.

I don't think as a first timer you need to enter the lottery, but the longer you wait this spring to secure a permit, the less choices you will have of a access point. Popular access points and dates go quickly, non-popular areas not so much.

Guess it depends on a few things. How far do you want to travel by canoe and portage? Is fishing a primary interest or is solitude? If fishing is why you're going, what do you want to fish for? For a first timer, I'd suggest Brule Lake. No portages to get to a campsite, fair fishing for walleyes and smallmouth. If you haven't been to the BWCA before, it won't seem too crowded. There are options near Brule for other species of fish that don't involve a ton of portaging.

Hey ted4887 trust me a trip to the bwca is a must. I live in your neck of the woods and for being just a 5 hour drive from our area we are so fortuanate. I would suggest taking a 4 day trip instead of 3. This is because you have to take into consideration time it takes paddeling to your campsite which could take half a day or more depending how far you would like to go. Another option of an entry point would be Lake 1. It's a bit more crowded than other areas but also very easy paddle to many great campsites and fishing.

Also trips to the bwca are just a great cheap get-a-way. Gas will be the most expensive part of the trip. There is the permit and then also food. But if your going to with a couple guys you could go on a 4 day trip for 75 to 100 dollars. So affordable and so much fun.

Trucks is right about the cost being pretty reasonable. Ted, as far as trout/salmon, no salmon in the BWCA. There are designated stream trout lakes and lake trout lakes. The dnr lakefinder gives plenty of info on them. I can think of a couple of stream trout lakes really close to Brule and one very good lake trout lake just a couple of portages away. One portage is fairly long, though. Might want to get a map and start marking which lakes have which species in them. Michael Furtmans "Boundary Waters Fishing Guide" has a list of lakes near the end of the book that gives some info on different lakes. From there it's easy to go to the dnr site and learn more about each lake.

I'm going in on May 30, to Little Gabbro. Hopefully one or more of my sons will join me, nephews, maybe a brother-in-law. We went to Gabbro and Bald Eagle last year for a few days, and loved it!

Any stories or suggestions on fishing spots, camp grounds, etc.?

I caught some nice walleyes on little Gabbro last May. 2 great resources to read are Robert Beymar's Boundary Waters Canoe Area Eastern and Western. They offer a lot of insight on portages, routes, campsites, fishing spots, etc. If you plan on making it over to Gabbro, there is bay on the north side that goes way back into a marshy area, it is a great place to see a moose! Have fun, and remember...