• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow Limbs and Below 0 temps

1eyeReD

I shoot a 04' Hoyt Ultrasport rated for 50 - 60 lbs. Over the years, it has dropped down to 57 lbs and it's maxed out so I can't crank any more poundage out of it... Using the factory bowstring. Shoot Beman ICS hunters 400 with 100 grain G5 Montecs for bling..

All the specs aside, anyone think bowhunters should be concerned about shooting in the current temps we are presently faced with. Lets say it's a frigid morning sitting at perhaps 4 below and a doe comes in. Should I be concerned about drawing my bow with those temps after being in the stand for an hr or two?

Just a thought. I tried drawing in the tree and even shot at a grouse two Sundays ago and not sure of the temps but def below freezing. It wasn't too hard to draw and it drew fine, but my only concern or discomfort would be with the "worse case scenario" especially now that it's frostbite conditions.

Thanks in advance..

If your poundage is going down it may just be from your string stretching and not the limbs.

Late season bow hunting is fantastic if you are in the right area. I have hunted and will hunt in weather that most people would not, especially if I was still trying for number 1. My second bow deer, a small doe fawn in 1994, was taken near Moorehead after a blizzard and -50 windchill. I don't remember all of the deer I have shot since then but that one is stuck in my memory for life.