• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Folks just bought a cabin on Horseshoe Lake... Wondering where to go on there for ice fishing this winter. The previous owner had said every winter there is a spring like 20 ft off the shore on front of our place to watch out for, but aside from that its a hot spot for crappie and other panfish. I honestly don't even know what really is in there, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks

If so that lake is primarily a panfish lake. There's also a lot of hammerhandles but they are trying to fix that with new regs. For the most part the shoreline is steep except for a few shallow bays. Punch holes along the shoreline until you find something, or else try the bays.

Yep, that would be the lake. Thanks a lot for the help. This year I'll probably just do a lot of scouting on there to figure it out, and possibly explore the other lakes in the area. How's Echo or the Upper and Lower Turtle Lakes?

Never tried Echo. Upper Turtle is loaded with small bass, and there's a fair number of pike, mostly small but a few bigger ones mixed in. Lower Turtle has fewer bass and more pike, and does have crappie with a few bigger ones mixed in. I've only open water fished them so I really can't help you on the ice.

I try to get up there alot i don't fish horseshoe much in the winter echo is pretty good panfish bite. You'll catch a few northerns but not much for size. The bass population is pretty good mostly average size is 14" to 18". If you see a black ford f-150 on the ice stop by and say hi. Good luck and happy fishing.

Thanks Nick. When the ice melts away I'll have my canoe and probably try the other lakes in the area as well as Horseshoe.

Pheasant - I'll probably just be on my black Grizzly 700 with my little sled in tow and sitting on a bucket. Haven't got my flip-over shelter yet... May have to wait til next year for that. You said you've got a place on Horseshoe or on Echo? Do you know how the ice is looking up there? I think the family may head there for a few days over the Christmas break, hopefully there is enough ice by then to do some fishing.

Upper and lower turtle have some good panfish in them and lower has some really nice perch if you can find them but once you do they are very nice size. Upper has crappies and gills. Try fishing past the narrows along the east shore up to the point on the north end. There is a point on the east side as you head into the narrows and just past that point we have done good on gills.

Parents are at the cabin this weekend. My mom sent me this picture she took from her phone for me. Thought I'd show you guys. Don't know the ice depth, as my folks don't fish or anything and would rather stay inside in the warmth than go out on the ice and risk it. Hopefully I can get up there soon and start punching some holes.

full-35468-3964-ice.jpg