• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluids changed, anything else I should check/adjust?

VMS

Hi Everyone,

Just finished changing the oil and differentials today. Filled with Amsoil Synthetics (0W-40 ATV oil for engine and tranny, and Severe Gear 75w-140 for differentials). Wondering if there is anything else I should be looking to adjust, etc.

I will be changing out the sparkplug as well... Doing all of those preventative maintenance things.

Oh...one quick question...how often do you repack front bearings? I would assume this is quite similar to trailer bearings yes?

Also, where and how have you attached the rear License plate for registration?

2001 Honda Foreman 450S

Pics coming soon...

Thanks everyone!!

Steve

No bearings to pack, they are all sealed. It wouldnt be a bad idea thought to pull the drums, check the front brakes and lightly grease the drum seals. I also lube my brake cables with a cable lube tool. Dont forget the air cleaner.

I made an aluminum plate for the license and riveted it on to the rear trunk cover.

I think I am all set everyone,

Here was my list of items I went through:

-Oil and filter (Amsoil 0w-40 ATV)

-Rear and front differentials inspected and replaced oil (75w-140 amsoil)

-Air filter cleaned, dried and lubed with 80w-90 gear oil (I hope this is o.k) The filter

felt like it was just moist, but not draining after I squeezed out as much as I could while

keeping it in a clean cotton towel.

-Adjusted front brake linkage so it is within spec of the owner's manual

-Adjusted rear brake foot peg and lever so they are within spec

-Checked drum brake shoes to ensure enough thickness..about 1/8 inch thick yet in the front

-Checked and adjusted clutch pedal

I hopefully should be good to go at this point...

thoughts?

Thanks again everyone!!

If you run your foreman hard like i do the valves need to be ajusted frequently.

True. A valve adjustment could help your performance as well as save wear on the motor. Most Hondas I've ridden with have had a ticking sound in the motor that is normal. Still doesn't hurt to check your valve clearances.

The foam type air filter should be oiled with a special air filter oil. It contains tackifiers (sticky additive) that is not in engine and gear lubes. You should be able to find it at any atv or dirt bike shop.

Bar and Chain oil works OK if you can't find the other stuff. It has the same tacky qualities.