• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Question

jiggin9

I dumped my lower unit oil a few weeks ago during my winterizing project and noticed two things. 1. My l.u. plug had a small amount of metal shavings on the magnetic end and 2. the gasket on the l.u. plug has torn. I'm thinking I can find a new gasket on line somewhere for a mercury outboard but the shavings have me worried. Are the metal shavings that uncommon? I could tear into it this winter during layoff but ice fishing usually gets the majority of my attention. I had no water or problems with my l.u. this past season(knock on wood) but I'm all for preventative care for my boat. It probably wouldn't hurt to replace all seals and what not anyways. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

There should be a small amount on your drain plug. That's why it is magnetic, to catch them. If it is just a small amount you are fine. It is from general wear and tear usually. Now if it is a large amount, you should consider having it looked into. Whenever metal rubs together (like with gears), there will always be some metal wear.

Same happens with a car engine.

The gaskets can be found at most places that sell Mercury or Quiksilver oils and lubes. Very cheap and should be replaced every year or two. Places like FF or GM stock them, should be able to find a similar place up in TRF.

And yes, a small amount of metal shavings is normal

Thanks. It wasnt a lot of shavings by no means but this was the first time I had this happen. This is my first winter with my boat but my old outboard never had this. I will have to check some places for the gasket. I figured it wouldnt be too hard to drum one up somewhere. I like to get all potential issues taken care of in the late fall/early winter in order to get my attention on ice fishing as well as not having to deal with come opener fishing weekend.