• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Master Solo auger

I was fishing with Jason Mitchell, Dave Genz and a few other Strike Master fellows in South Dakota 2 years ago and got the chance to use this auger b-4 it went onto the market and I was really suprised just how well it preformed.

Last season I had the pleasure of running a Solo 8" auger. This auger starts very easy even in the colder temps and the weight of the auger is pretty light.

It cuts as fast as any other auger I have used or owned including my Nils.

One very nice aspect of the Solo over the Nils is how clean the the Solo leaves the hole of ice chips.

If your looking for a new auger, take the time and check out the whole StrikeMaster lineup.

Does Strike Master have plans on a four stroke propane unit? I had the fortune of using a propane unit last year and loved the NO fumes in my house but I would rather buy from a MN CO...?

Use an electric model, Strike Master makes some excellent ones.

how long do the blades stay sharp on the new strike masters and does it have steel handles or plastic. im kind of apprehensive about strike master because 2 of my fishing buddies own lazers that have had them for probably 4 yrs. and they aren't happy with the blades they say that if you even look at them crosseyed they get dull. my other buddy was using his laser to drill out his holes in his house and the auger caught and swung around and the plastic handle hit the wall and busted. has strikemaster come out with a serrated blade? i own a jiffy that is about 20 years old and i just put a new blade on every year and a new plug every other year and thats all ive ever had to do to it so far. id like to get a new auger because i dont like to choke on 2 cycl oil smoke either but the quality of the new augers on the market concerns me.

I used mine all of last winter and I believe I fish much more than the average ice fisherman. I had no issues with the serrated cutting blade and it is still sharp enough to get through this season. With that said I am darn careful with the cutting blade and I do not bang it on anything or do I drop it on the ice hard.

In regards to the plastic handles, my auger stays in the back of my pick up for the entire winter in the box along side my portable. I would assume it also bounces around in the box a bit and I did not have any issues with it last winter.

I do believe this is a very well built auger as as stated above, this motor has a ton of power and really cuts through the ice very, very fast without pulling the auger out of my hands.

The SOLO gets a thumbs up from me and I do not sell these augers or am I a Pro Staff for them. I am simply a very happy end user.

I just got a Solo Pro and they are saying it cuts ice like butter. With a 3 horse motor I would assume they are right. I have had a Pro Lazer 10 inch with the plastic handles for 5 years with no problems, just wanted to go to something lighter when on the move, I still like having the 10 inch holes when in my sleeper. If you are reopening holes you should use a chipper blade not sure if thats what you where doing when the handle busted.

i own a jiffy that is about 20 years old and i just put a new blade on every year and a new plug every other year and thats all ive ever had to do to it so far.

I must say I am shocked you are concerned about SM blades when you have to replace yours every year. I probably average 20 holes drilled each trip out, and I make it out at least a couple times a week plus fish all weekend. I am on year 2 with my SM blades and it still cuts like the day I bought it. Just don't drill through sand and you will get long life out of your SM blades.

Also, no disrespect to anyone who has done it, but you would have to really do something dumb to break the new composite handles. I have dropped mine, had it in the back of a pickup, had it in the house towed behind a sled, pretty much put it through heck, and I have never even chipped or cracked the handle.

I bought a SM solo last year and absolutely love it. 0 regrets. I've used many gas augers over the years including dad's eskimo, brother's old lazer mag, family friend's jiffy, etc. Nothing I have used matches the cutting power and speed of these solo lazers. They sound awesome too, like some sort of modified chain saw! I imagine the closet thing out there would be a Nils, but I haven't had the benefit of using a Nils just yet.

After being a Jiffy guy for the past 10 years I bough the new Lazer Mag w/ Solo in 8". I used it yesterday on the lake (we're way colder here in Saskatchewan then u guys) and I can't believe the difference. It cut through the ice like it was nothing. Im sure it weighs 10 lbs lighter them my old Jiffy too. Great stuff, not sure if I'm more excited to use it or the new Vexilar Fl-22 I purchased.

I've been using the Lazer Mag ever since it first came out and haven't had many issues with the auger blades becoming dull. I have dulled the blades on a few occasions and that was due to drilling holes where there had been a good deal of vehicle traffic on the lakes (community holes, etc.), where a lot of sand, etc. would fall off of them. Try to stay clear of these area and you shouldn't have any problems. That's been my experience anyway.

I have been a proud and happy Strikemaster Mag 2000 auger owner since 1996. The machine just keeps running after thousands and thousands of holes, with a good portion of them re-drilling the holes in my Mille Lacs perm house. Ice season 08/09 I noticed that the lower 1/3 of the auger flighting had actually worn thin enough that a visible taper could be seen. I also noticed even with new blades it still was not cutting right. So I took it over to Strike Master's service department. Mike in service is the guy I always deal with and pure proof that Strike Master's brand name is not the only reason why I drive over to Big Lake for what I need. wink

They have things down so well over over at Strike Master (call ahead to make sure first though wink ) and if they are not extremely busy they have a lathing center that actually chucks up, examines, and repairs/adjusts your augers straightness and pitch. I guess it also checks the blade sharpness. The actual price of this service, for Strike Master auger owners only, is between $5-$10 which includes the minor corrections (pretty much anything that does not require auger replacement. wink ). This may have had something to do with me calling ahead first, or, as always, being very polite and nice while on the phone and in person, or I just hit their service department at a time when they did not have a crowd buying augers and parts. Which if you have been their before is most time. I must have hit Mike on a good day cause he chucked it up and checked out (and would have adjusted) my auger shaft right while I waited and said it was on the house. While I waited I got to looking. grin

Sure enough a short time later he came out and, first commented on the extreme wear, clearly showed me where the problem was. It was just too far gone to be repaired and the entire lower 1/4 had twisted just enough over the years, no signs of impact and I have not hit anything or dropped it. Normally as cheap as I am, I would have just went home and fixed it some how. After Mike's awesome customer service, with a little selfishness of my own in having a new lazer auger ;), I just said 'Get me a new one and make it the the best one you have in-stock that will fit'. grin Also after some good back and forth at the counter about this and that, I walked out with the new composite handle and throttle system. Oh and a new gas cap.

Ran it pretty heavy the rest of the season that year and got her in the "used it" category last year and the dual lazer IMO is one of the best cutting systems on the market. They are all pretty close when it comes down to it as far as comfort in handling and cutting time, but only two augers on the market are able (with some precautions and knowing the risk wink ) two be used to cut a hole while one handed. My Strike Master is one of them.

The steel handle did me good for years, but due to it being made of out bent tubing, the handle is rounded which never allowed to place the auger down with either the carb or the exhaust hitting the ground and being right in the snow & ice. The new handle does cut down on weight, was easy to install, and has nice 90 deg corners to set it down correctly on no matter which side it is. If you drop it off the tail gate when it is -30 below out, yes the handle might crack, but I classify this "word of advise" right in with saying you might bend the auger shaft if you back over it with your truck. wink

Some day, if what is beyond the Solo is not out first, I might find myself with the Solo. Very cool machine. I just can not see me getting a new Strike Master when my old one is so good. I always wanted a second/back up though. Two auger are better than one. wink But!!! Three, a three would be killer. laugh