• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone tried Hornady FTX bullets in a smokepole?

Since playing around with loads for a 450 Bushmaster (AR), I got to thinking... The bullet, a 250 gr. Hornady FTX looks to be a good prospect for a muzzleloader. I've got the correct sabots for this diameter bullet, plenty of pellets and loose 777 and more than enough primers to do a bit of research.

693974.jpg

Before I disappear behind a cloud of burned propellent, has anyone tried these? If so, what were your results?

I shoot these in my Omega. 130gr of 777 pellets and a 250gr FTX in a Harvester easy slide. I am getting 2" freehand groups at 75yard, and POA=POI from 25 to 75 yards. At 25 yards I am putting all of my shots in the same hole.

The deer I shot last sat wished I had chosen something else. Very clean very effective kill on a MN whitetail.

Good luck working in your load. I will say this... These bullets did not pattern well for me until went up to the 130gr charge. At 100gr they shot same hole at 25, but were 8" groups at 75. Uping the charge tightened the groups a lot.

My buddy shot a huge doe with that combo last sunday and it went 25 yards and piled up! The FTX does a number on deer. I use 20ga. Hornady SST sabots with the FXT which is the same sabot and every deer I shot with then usually drops where they stood! 2c