• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lure painting

i would recommend getting some sketch pads and a set of pastel pencils to practice color schemes instead of painting your lures at first to get an idea what will look good. when i make new paint ideas i draw them out first and then shoot them....

A couple of websites are out there dedicated to lure making and lure painting. I would check those out first.

I second the Iwata line of airbrushes. I have a Iwata C with .3 mm tip. I like it a lot and feel like my skill will probably never eclipse it's capabilities. The whole process takes some practice, but it's pretty rewarding. I started last winter and have made some improvements. Still have a long way to go though.

Be careful, it's addicting and expensive!

Lots of options depending on how much you want to spend. Iwata, badger a good airbrushes. I use auto air paints mostly but have used a lot of the cheaper water based paints as well thinned with Windex so they spray decent. You'll need to have something to turn the bait once you clear coat it. I have used Devacon 2 ton epoxy in the 30 minute formula to clear coat. It's cheap and works pretty well. It will yellow with prolonged exposure to the sun though. I use a drill set on slow rotation speed to keep the clear coat smooth.

Here's some of the basic gear I've used to get started.

DSC00489.jpg

Lots of options for patterns can be thought up and done with practice.