• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Energy Bars for your Dog

1900_LE

I read an article in Pheasants Forever about giving your dog energy bars when they are hunting long and hard. Saturday we took our GSP to a preserve for her first hunt this year. About 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way thru the hunt she started slowing down. To say she is out of shape would be an understatement. She has a BIG fenced yard to run in and believe me she runs. So my question is are ya'll using any type of energy bar or supplement for your dog(s)? I'm planning on taking her out again next Monday, and hate to see her wear herself down so bad. She got home and was dead tired. Wouldn't even eat or drink. She is 3 years old. By the way she's on Purina One.

In my opinion a pointing dog should only be allowed to run (hunt) for a couple hours at a time. If your planning on hunting all day you should use several dogs through out the day, resting some while others hunt. Purina used to have energy bars that I thought worked great but they took them off the market for whatever reason.

The Energy Bar is only going to help so much. The conditioning is more important. On Pheasants Forever TV they also just had a segment on how you should be endurance training your dog before the season begins. Running in the backyard (chasing a ball/Frisbee, etc...) is more high intensity short period training. Both should be used to condition your dog.

Also as mentioned give them breaks and plenty of water. If you have more than one dog available, substitute them in and out.

Good Luck!