• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seed starting

I have a winter project that I would like some info on. Has anyone used the seeds from Black eye Susan and Purple Cone Flowers and planted them in some pots inside during the winter time? My office has 2 huge south facing windows that generates a lot of solar heat.

What would be the steps to plant them and when would be the best time so by spring time we will have the flower plugs to plant in our landscaping to make more flower beds?

Any tips, hints, and pointers is greatly appreciated.

I am also thinking of taking soem of the spikes and vinca vines out of their planter boxes and put them in pots and bring them inside, while leaving the other half of them outside and see if they will make it the winter.

Do you think either will work so we won't have to buy them each year?

WTS, this is just my opinion, never having planted coneflower and susan from seed, but wildflowers generally germinate right on top of the soil, since nature rarely buries flower seeds in the ground. So I'd lay them on top of the soil in the pots, or at most lightly dust soil over them.

The vinca and spikes should do fine in the house this winter if they get enough light.

while not easy, blackeyed susans are growable....coneflower, however, is rather difficult to germinate. took these from Johnny's catalog(my seed growing bible) Good luck!

Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan)

Germination: 14-21 days at 68 to 72ºF (20C). Culture: Indoors - 8-10 weeks before last frost. Do not cover seed. Transplant out after danger of frost is past. Outdoors - 2 weeks before last frost, in groups of 3-4 seeds.

purple coneflower

Seeds germinate most readily if first stratified (kept moist and refrigerated, or sown in a cold frame in the winter.) The germination rate for non-stratified seeds can be low and erratic. Sow any of the echinaceas outdoors in the fall to allow the oscillating temperatures and natural rain to stimulate germination. Average time for stratification is approximately 21 to 28 days.

similar to above; i've heard that native seeds need to be kept in the refrigerator for a period of time, the times seem to vary. but this aids germination cuz the seeds need a period of dormancy prior to planting.

i've collected alot of various wildflower seeds out hiking & biking this fall for this coming spring. so before i do plant them i'll read a bit more indepth on the refrigerator concept.

just saying thats its something you should google and read up on as well.