• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Odds on buck doing...

heat checker

the same thing two nights in a row? Given the stage they're in (not a whole lot of chasing yet)? About 6:15, a nice buck came out across the river and took a drink. Proceeded down river constantly wading in and coming out. Went the 200ft of open shore , turned around and came half way back before swimming 100ft across. Wind was coming from across the river. Thinking he smelled a hot one and wanted to cross. Seems to me if he was a regular crosser, he wouldn't have been "searching" for a place to cross? May have a 2 day visitor to my side of the river? Opinions from the more educated please. Set up where he came across, or a waste of time?

Based on my experience two weekends ago, I'd set up close to where he crossed if the wind allows you to do it. Don't be afaid to use a few doe bleats, but don't get too aggressive with the grunts. He's definitely looking.

Problem is two weeks ago in regards to the stage of the rut is an eternity... that buck could be 5 miles or more from where you saw him. That is the reality when they begin there search phase... they travel non-stop. Not saying he won't come back through there, but the best time to pattern a buck is early and late in the season. Best bet is find a funnel or sit on that crossing and maybe another buck will do the same thing.

That is a tough call, I say give it a shot if wind is the same direction as the day before. He might have a favorite bedding area there and he could do the same thing but this time of year you just never know. He might find an early hot doe and she will dictate his travel but at least you know he is in the area so I say go for it.