• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

And the adventure begins....

MNBIGBEAR

Say Hi to Jake everyone. Picked him up a few days ago and I must say that I forgot what having a puppy was all about. He hasnt been sleepin very well at night; waking up about 4-5 times a night. Has had diarreah since we got home but I am sure that is due to all the changes the lil guy has had. You guys have any tips on house training? He literally can go out and pee and come in and will go again within 2 min sometimes. Try to get him to stay out longer but he has been getting cold pretty fast with the cooler weather and just wants to go inside right away. He also FREAKS out in the crate when I leave him in there. He got himself so worked up the other day that he threw up. Any tips on making this less traumatic for him? Been 15 years since I went through all this so its kind of all new to me again. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

full-4326-2695-100_1063.jpg

full-4326-2696-100_1110.jpg

Lots of good info on here for your situation, but I'll answer a couple questions quick.

First, he's gonna pee a lot and often. That'll get better with time. Be prepared to bring him out before you play, after you play, before supper, after supper, before bed, during bed, when he wakes up, after he gets a drink, before a car ride...you get the picture.

As far as crate training, try making it a game and use LOTS of treats. When we first got our GWP, we took the top off his crate so he could just sit in there. We played a lot in the crate and I'd throw treats in there and hide them under a blanket so he'd have to search for them. Now he's a crate-a-holic. If I get a treat and start walking anywhere within the vicinity of the kennel, he jumps right in.

Oh memories...enjoy this time! Mine's only five months old right now, but he's growing up fast!!!

Cute pup, by the way wink

How old? He looks young. He'll be able to hold it longer each week. Housetraining is simple.

1. Never, ever let the dog out of your site (he should be crated if you're not watching him).

2. Take him out to pee a ton, and praise the bejesus out of him when he does.

3. If you catch him peeing in the house, make sure he gets the picture that he cannot do this, then drag him outside. let him finish, and praise the heck out of him.

4. Don't bother punishing him unless you catch him in the act (see #1).

That's really all there is to it. Some dogs take longer than others. Age is your friend. Tiny pups just can't hold it for too long.

As for the crate. Make it a good place. Never put him in as a punishment. Start with small increments. Never let him out when he's whining--wait till he's quiet. Keep on top of it and he will learn to like (or at least accept) the crate. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't crate train. Even if you eventually give the dog run of the house, there are times when it is necessary to crate (ie someone elses house).

Good luck! Sure is a cute pup!!!

He is 9 weeks old. We have him pretty much confined to the livingroom where the crate is located. If we go into the kitchen or anywhere else, he comes with. I didnt have to use any treats with my last lab but maybe I will have to use some with this lil guy for some extra motivation to stay outside longer. He definitely does not like the cold! Took him for three walks yesterday and on the third one (when the temp really started to drop) he made it about a block and just sat down and wouldnt move. The only time he would start walking was when we turned to head toward home. After reading the posts from other guys on here, I dont think my experience is that much different.

He is 9 weeks old. We have him pretty much confined to the livingroom where the crate is located. If we go into the kitchen or anywhere else, he comes with. I didnt have to use any treats with my last lab but maybe I will have to use some with this lil guy for some extra motivation to stay outside longer. He definitely does not like the cold! Took him for three walks yesterday and on the third one (when the temp really started to drop) he made it about a block and just sat down and wouldnt move. The only time he would start walking was when we turned to head toward home. After reading the posts from other guys on here, I dont think my experience is that much different.

Sounds a lot like my dog when he was that age. Treats were a lifesaver. Use them, along with praise, for every positive act he does. In fact, if he really likes his food, take out his dinner portion and gradually use that as "treats" around his regular eating time. I did this a few times. Supplements the feeding and helps instill positive reinforcement for good behavior. Great tool for beginning to train for heel and sit (since it's a lab).

As far as walks, that takes time, just like everything. For a few weeks after we got Remy, he hated walks. Would sit there and not budge. I think it was largely a dominance thing. He didn't want to be led around. Eventually that will cease and you'll end up with the opposite problem: pulling. Whatever the case, correct the problem immediately and reinforce good behavior. Though your dog may not like the cold, it could also be a "pekking order" kind of situation. Show him who's boss when necessary, and love the little bugger for all he's worth.

Good luck!

He definitely does not like the cold!

Use that to your advantage! He can come in after he goes pee. Also, get him used to a command. We use, "Go potty." He'll soon connect the command with the fact that he needs to go pee.

If you're near a place that offers puppy obedience classes, I highly recommend it. Great socialization and you will learn as much as the pup. Plus, you'll get to see how your pups skills stack up to others.