• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking of getting a new upland dog! ideas on breeds and breeders?

Hammertime

I am thinking of getting another hunting dog. Had a gsp for 12 years. Had kids so we have a boxer (great family pet). I do mostly grouse hunting at the cabin and I love to get out for 3-4 pheasant weekends a year. Heading out to Cyrus this weekend. Intersted in GSP's of course, but looking into some input. Must be good with kids, good in the house, and great at upland hunting. Ideas on breeds and breeders would be appreciated. I really enjoyed by GSP and would like another. Dont do much waterfowling anymore so that is not a big concern of mine. Let me know what you think!

Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Go with a breed that you are comfortable with and have experience with. You are the one ultimately that has to be happy with the breed. If you are looking for something other then a GSP then, you should find some people with different breeds that you are considering and see if you can be around them for a day or something to see what they are like both in the field and in the house. Ideally you would want to be around several dogs of a breed to get the best idea of the breed because each dog is different. What may be good for one person may not be your cup of tea.

Hope this helps ya!

Check out NAVHDA breeds, GSP is one of them. One good thing I've found with NAVHDA, is the local chapters hold many training days and tests spring through summer. Try to hunt with as many breeds as possible, or watch some training and tests. Do some research and pick a breed that you can live with.

My few pups were all brought home during the summer, nice weather makes for easier house breaking and conditioning. But if you work long hours during summer that's less time for play and bonding with a pup.

Have fun and Good Luck.

how do you like your vizsla? do you hunt pheasants and grouse with it?

I love my vizsla, check out my north shore grouse report, and my north Dakota report; two recent posts I've made. His first time grouse hunting he moved 8 birds in 2.5 hrs. Last week in north Dakota, as the only dog we hunted, he was an all star, 20 pheasants, 20 sharp tails, and 3 Huns.

We have a standard poodle that came from a hunting breeder here in MN. She is 65-70 lbs, great with kids , and she is extremely intelligent (poodles are considered the second most intelligent dog). I can't wait to get her out on pheasants!!! Something we really think is a bonus to is no shedding!