• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

99 Evinrude 175 motor questiion?

Meat-Run

The majority of the issues with the FICHT's were in the 4 cylinder size in that era.

Lots of people have run these without any issues.

That said.. unless it was a heck of a deal I'd consider passing. Regardless of if this size motor was an issue or not, the word FICHT has the perception of being a problem among the un-educated... and may make resale at a later date a little more difficult.

That's my opinion anyway.

marine_man

I have a 1999 175 ficht ram evinrude and it has been a great engine. Nearly 500 hours on it now. Just a note of intrest. The newer the engines are, the better the ECM's are. This is especially true in the fuel management dept. the old F.I. omc's run rougher at low end due to the lack of memory in the ECM for all the mixture ratios at different rpms...this is what I was told when asked why it runs rough between 1450 and 2000 rpms.

thanks marine-man I was hoping you would chime in. Is a FICT and Intruder technically the same motor/power head?

mr

Hmm... I'm reaching a bit here.. but if I recall correctly the FICHT and the Intruder were two different power heads... with the FICHT being the direct injection method and the intruder the carb'd version...

I could be way off here.. I'm having a tough time remembering right now...

marine_man

The intruder was actually a very good reliable engine and the best carbed motor OMC ever built. They built the intruder from 1991-1999. It is a carbed engine. If you keep them clean and run good oil it will run forever.