• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scoot's Folly

Scoot

A while ago my brother and I started working on a project that he eventually called "Scoot's Folly". I had dreamed and schemed up a home made ground blind and I wanted to put my thoughts into action. I did some internet searching and found some others who had done the same thing. Below are a few pics and info on what we did. It didn't turn out perfectly, but I'm generally happy with the end product.

FYI- the main reason for doing this was two-fold: first, when I'm hunting at my mo-in-law's I usually have one, two, or three kids with me. Here's a pic of my usual hunting crew- my two nephews, Erik and Austin, and my son Ryan (little guy in the middle).

boys.jpg

A ground blind sure makes it a lot easier for kids to move around and make the typical kind of "hunting mistakes" that kids tend to do. Ryan has a tough time holding his legs still, so a blind is great for him.

The second reason I wanted to make a ground blid was because I am not a believer in the hub systems used in virtually all ground blinds. They work great when they work, but when they fail, the ground blind is worthless, ...and they all fail. I've had some cheap ground blinds and some expensive ground blinds, but all of them met the same fate- the hubs failed. So, I wanted something that was pretty failproof. Below are some pics of what I came up with.

First, a pic of some of the basic material. I used 2x8 for the frame (this turned out to be a mistake, but I had some green treated 2x8's left over from a deck project this past Summer). I ended up using 1 1/4 x 6 deck boards for two of the sides (not pictured).

Total cost was around $60- $15/cattle guard section, $9 for the 1 1/4x6 boards, plus a few odds and ends. I had the 2x8's, plastic, zip ties, thread and line used to tie things off, and I traded for the camo.

A.jpg

Once the framework was in place, I bent two pieces of cattle guard into place to serve as the framework.

B.jpg

Next, we covered that in black plastic to keep everything dark inside of the blind.

C.jpg

I wish I would have taken a couple pics in betwen the last step and the finished product, but I didn't. In between the pictured steps we covered the whole thing in black plastic, covered everything in burlap, and covered the front with camoflage material. Here's what it looks like.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ryan and I hunted in it last night. It was great! However, I'd change a few things if I were to do it over: 1) it's too dang big- I'd overlap the cattle guard pieces so they totalled about 6-7 feet in length, 2) I'd make it wider (the dimension from the windows to the part that's behind you when you're facing out the windows). Currently, it's too tall, so making it wider would help with this- I'd probably go to about nine feet, or I'd keep it at 8 feet and cut the cattle guard a little shorter, 3) I'd use 2x4's for the framework (or maybe 1 1/4 x 4's if I could find them- just strengthen the corners by screwing in some blocking), 4) I wouldn't do the end pieces in cattle guard- I'd cut 3/8" plywood to size and cut a hinged door on one side, and 5) I'd be extra careful with the plastic, being sure I covered everything super carefully so absolutely NO light could get inside of it.

I still need to cut a hole in the end pieces for looking for deer. I also need to rig up a bow hanger. Other than that, it's pretty much done. It was a fun project and something that the boys helped with, which was pretty cool. Ryan really liked hunting in a blind he helped make.

Just thought I'd share- I hope you like Scoot's Folly!

It looks great. Now you got me thinking. A permanent blind that is windproof- materials that can be hauled in and constructed on site--- HMMMMMM---

Maybee add some camo netting to the portholes- or even hang the netting on a rod and hang them in strips that can be slid to create the perfect opening for a clear shot.

Very nice

I think I will build one for the Twist of Fate physically challenged hunt I guide for each year.

Tom, if you want one, I'll get the supplies and bring them out there. I'd be happy to build it with you. The one I made is perfectly functional, but the next one would be much better... Let me know and I'll get some supplies together and bring them out there next time I go out.

That is sweeeet. I appreciate you posting and may have to try building a few of those on a new spot I have to hunt next year. Plus I can take the kids and/or landowner hunting with me easily this way. I would agree on the mesh windows or camo strips over the black windows. They always have them down on the hunting shows but I think you stick out that way.

P.S. I know what you mean about hub blinds. I mostly use them know but the hubs eventually go. I just bought a Yukon Tracks Prowler from Fleet Farm for $70. I really like the blind and the window configurations, including how there are no zippers other than the door. But the thing is flimsy. I'm afraid to set it up and take it down because I'm afraid the hubs will snap like twigs.

Looks great Scoot.

I built one just like it last year and really like it.

I just posted pic of mine last week on the deer bear moose forum (deer stand plans).

I covered mine in cattails because it is sitting on the edge of a swap.

I leave mine out year round its holding up great.I wish I could put mesh over the window but I use rage broadheads.

Good luck and enjoy. grin