• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera shopping - "Body Only"?? and other questions

I am looking at getting into a SLR camera setup, have been using a sony DSC-T1 for about 5 years, and would like to upgrade and perhaps start doing some hobby photography while scouting and sitting on stand while hunting.

I want a quality setup, but really don't want to go much over $750 for total setup. I already have several SD cards, so i need the body and perhaps a lens? If I buy a 'body', can I charge the battery, throw in a SD card an take pictures, or do I need a screw on lens on the front?

If anyone has any good threads I can review for camera recommendations, please post them, I found some a few weeks ago, but did not bookmark them and I can't find them now.

OK, did alot of research on this site and others. I am just starting out, so this will be for taking pictures around the house, some outdoors stuff, mainly animals that don't get shot with a gun will get shot with camera ;-). Hope to do some sports and activities pictures of the kids too.

I am leaning towards a Package deal of a Canon XSi + 18-55 lens. And plan on getting the 50-250is lens for it right away. I can get all this for around $799.

Does this seem like a decent price?

The lenses you state go for $100.00 & $ 250.00 at various online camera stores. That makes your package an OK deal on a new camera. I believe you could find a T1i package for the amount you listed as well. The XSI is about a 2-1/2 year old camera. The T1i is newer and offers some video recording.

For a new photo enthusiast a used camera can be a great staring point. Lots of good quality equip. is out there. If you catch the bug you'll soon be looking to upgrade camera bodies & lenses. I know, it happened to me.

The TL1 is newer and offers some video recording.

For a new photo enthusiast a used camera can be a great staring point. Lots of good quality equip. is out there. If you catch the bug you'll soon be looking to upgrade camera bodies & lenses. I know, it happened to me.

Do you mean the Canon T1i? I can't find any info on a Canon TL1. While reading up on the T1i, it said if you don't care about video, get the XSi, and that described my situation exactly.