• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Ken and Steve Chronicles: Dawn at the Baptism

Thanks all, for the kind words!

Quote:
very cool bg color for your in flight flicker image,

suprising that the AF locked on with that bg!

VERY surprising! The flicker was coming from over the Lake where Steve got a shot at it. I was holding my 500 f/4 on my 1D3 and just raised and snapped three shots as it was going into the woods. The background was some cedars with yellow spots of dead needles. I snapped three shots - the first while it was short of the woods and that was in fair focus, this one as it hit the trees and one more that completely picked up the BG and fuzzed the bird out. Sometimes you gotta get lucky, I guess! grin

I got a sharp one of the flicker with the same bg as Ken's too. In my case (300 f2.8L IS, 1.4 TC, 1D3 on Ai Servo and center focus point), it helped that I already had focus and was shooting a burst against the sky. I think that made it easier to retain focus when the bird passed in front of the trees.

I was at Hawk Ridge on Saturday and tried to lock focus on a hawk flying below the ridge with the tops of the trees of Duluth as the BG and the 1D3 and 400 f5.6L (also Ai Servo and center focus point) were not able to do the job. Normally, this combo is a dynamite BIF combo. Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose. gringrin

Shawn, thanks for the correction on the sparrows. I hemmed and hawed over which it was. Guess I hemmed when I should have hawed. smilesmile

Ditto!

Was shooting a cross country meet at the Ely Golf Course today and just couldn't resist taking this shot looking to the west. The colors just keep on coming!

Golf-Course.gif

Sweeet pic! I am heading back up there this weekend camping with my Dad, hopefully the colors will still be on fire!!

Wow! Loved all the shots! That flicker shot took my breath away! Amazing. Had to keep scrolling back to get another look. Thank you guys for giving me a tour that I haven't seen in quite awhile. I feel fortunate to have a chance to see some amazing talent! Again, thanks!