• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Running Rich

chasineyes

Looking for some tips...I'm in the process of getting our 94 Yamaha ready for the upcoming season and I noticed that it seems to run rich. Is there a "fix" for this or is it just a matter of cleaning the jets? I'm also wondering if it runs rich now (temps in the 60's) since it's not jetted for these temps. I'm figuring on taking the carbs off crazy and cleaning the needles and jets.

Thanks for the advice!!! cool

So I now have the carbs off but still need to find out how to take them "apart". I can get the bottom off of one of the carbs and get to the main jet and pilot? jet. Of course when I went to take the bottom of of the other carb, the first screw started stripping. cry I'm hoping I can get it off tomorrow with my vise grip. If I can only get to the main jet, would their be a problem putting in a smaller jet to "offset" the potential choke issue?

If I can only get to the main jet, would their be a problem putting in a smaller jet to "offset" the potential choke issue?

I wouldn't recommend that under any circumstance..... it would be asking for more and Bigger problems sooner than later.

Jets arent sized to temp. their sized to elevation,dont change them they are probably set to rich.If your stripping screws and cant get the bottom off can you set the jets correctly?

What makes you think their set to rich? Visegrips on a carb??? May want the right tools!!

The jet isn't the problem. Jets clog and restrict the gas flow, they don't get bigger and make an engine run rich.

As Mac said check the fuel enrichment cable and valve, float level, and inlet valve (needle and seat).

Is it leaking gas? if so its the inlet valve, or float adjustment or hole in the float. If not more then likely a stuck cable or enrichment valve. I have seen one case where the main jet vibrated loose and was laying in the bottom of the bowl. That is rare though.

I take it you tore out the phillips head and the threads aren't actually stripped.

A proper sized screwdriver in good condition will prevent that.

The heads of those screws are usually tall so you might get a small small vise grip on it.

If no go there then use a dremil tool, cut a slot in the head of the screw to accept a flat screw driver.

A straight in plunge cut without any rounding over is what you need.

Your right Surface...it was the phillips head on the screw that started to "round off" but after bringing home my tools from work, I was able to get everything off and cleaned. It is now running perfectly. There we're two holes that were plugged and I think I even got out a chunck of lint the size of a toothpick. Everything is back to normal and now I might just tackle the polaris next. By the way everyone...NO I was not going to use the VICE GRIP on the carb itself!!! grin