• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground Blinds?

mabr

I know this was discussed last year but I don't want to research it by looking back and figured others want to know as well.

I used mine last year with some success, 50/50 deer noticing it and running away, and one doe shot out of it during gun season. The time where they ran it was not brushed in and it was used primarily for pre-season viewing. the other was in standing pines and brushed in very good. But to be honest she was being chased by a young buck and I think she was oblivious to anything.

My question is how successful has a blind been for you while bow hunting and being at close range. Do they need to get used to them, or as long as they blend in with the surrounding foliage do they just not notice.

Ive got a really good Oak flat that I'm thinking of setting it up this afternoon and hunting it tonight. The east wind we have today would be ideal and I'm thinking i can brush it in very good, and plan on hunting it this evening.

Is it worth it? Or should I let them get used to it for a while?

Mabr-

I think it depends on a couple factors...

Have you used and had THIS blind for awhile? Most blinds, regardless of material smell something fierce. Mine worked great for turkeys and not so great for deer, mainly because it smelled like vinyl or plastic(similar to a tent) until I put it in a large bag with fresh earth scent waffers for a season. Then the deer were clueless.

Secondly, whether its a $50 or $400 blind it all comes down to like you said how well its brushed in... If it blends it fine they will be none the wiser. As long as it isn't on a trail or in a spot where they know its typically not usually.

I would say one of the biggest one people forget is interior. If you have all the windows open then you really can't move. I heard people complain about how their blinds don't fool the game that well. If your blind has a black interior, and you have the opposing side windows closed, camo clothing will stick out terribly. On the other hand if you have something black to wear with only half the windows open and it is brushed it well, you might as well be invisible.

These might seem a little basic and obvious, but I do these and have had good success with blinds. The good spots in the area I hunt don't have that great of tree options. Will be in blind tonight as well.

Good luck!

Yeah its been weathered so to say so no issues with scent. Im planning on using it tonight and I understand the contrasting interior deal. Like I said ive used it in the past with some success, as well as building ground blinds from natural materials and as long as it blends your usualy lts good to go.

Im committed to it tonight.

I love the idea of a ground blind but the devil is in the details of making it work. Either you have to brush it in or leave it sit in the same location for a while so they get used to it. At least my experience has been the deer shy from a blind they never saw before. Happened twice last year, both were perfect setups. One was a nice buck and I was behind a large tree and a little brush to boot, wind was right and I needed the animal to take two more steps. But it bolted. Same with a doe. What I don't like about my blind is visibility. I heard the doe coming and couldn't see where she was though I kept going from one window to the next trying to find her. She passed within 20 yeards, snorted, and ran another 15 yards and looked at me. I passed on the shot. Had one bear encounter and they were oblivious to the blind. So this year I bought a self climber. I still may use my ground blind in the right spot.

Ground blinds often get a bad rap. They can be just as effective, if not more so than stands in many situations. Often, you can be better concealed versus a stand, if you play it right, as mentioned above. You don't want it to look like you're sitting in a gazebo. And the blind shouldn't stick out like sore thumb. This is an ambush situation. The minimal number of windows should be open and scent control is an absolute must - much more important than when in the tree. I like blinds because I can be mobile much more quickly. I often don't have a lot of time to move and rehang stands during the season, so I have stands hung in my traditional sweet spots and use blinds to be on the move.

If you don't think you can be effective hunting big bucks out of a ground blind, just look at all of these TV shows where they do it. Or look at the pics of these guys in North Dakota that do nothing more than sink into the grass and await their prey.

best part about a ground blind is...being on the ground.

In Low Light Situations.

When you're settled in for a late afternoon hunt you won't be sky lighted.

So if you get my drift, you'll understand that being up in a tree stand you'll look like a blob and with any movement --your dinner will become fast food. One type of camo can help overcome this obstical..leafy or ghilli suit.

Anyway, test this theory out. Sit down in an open closet in a semi dark room. Now when you look out into the room anything elevated will become silouetted.

I just put one new ground blind out yesterday and had deer within 5 yards from it.