• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decarbing

folke2000

I have a new to me 96 yamaha F60 oil injected outboard, and have been running Amsoil HP injector for oil. Should I decarb the motor, and if so, what is the procedure for doing this. As a side note the motor runs great, with no problems. Just trying to take the best care of my investment.

Thanks for any help,

Folke

I don't hear of people decarbing on a regular / scheduled basis.. but, if it's something you're interested in doing... Yamaha makes a product called Ring Free (pretty sure BRP and Merc do as well) that you add to the fuel for maintenance purposes.

Otherwise I'd look at BRP's engine tuner in a can... you spray it in, shut the engine off and let it soak a bit, then run it and clean it out... sometimes it's pretty amazing the amount of Gunk that comes out after treatment!

marine_man

I like a bit of ring free in every fill up. Strong stuff and expensive but I noticed a difference when I started running it this spring.

Oh you will want to change plugs after the 1st tank or 2. Especially if you do the "shock" treament do it for sure.

Carbon removal shouldn't be necessary using the AMSOIL HPI. The oil is an ashless synthetic which under normal circumstances in an outboard does not leave carbon behind, it normally removes carbon left behind by other oils. The only time you might have a problem is if you use your 90hp for a lot of low speed/trolling operation - any 2-cycle engine run low end for extended periods can leave carbon, running much cooler than designed.