• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 Honda Motor Problem

ConnorMN

Hi all - Looking for ideas here on a motor issue:

Motor is a 2004 Honda 75HP 4-stroke outboard.

Starts fine, runs fine and smooth for about... 1 minute then slowly starts to run down and eventually will kill if I don't take the throttle down with it.

Have to wait about a minute and then I can go again for another minute.

Oil level is fine. Temp dummy-light is not lighting up.

Found out with the help of the brother-in-law that if the primer bulb is squeezed when running down, the motor will throttle back up.

Ideas? (aside from take it in, hoping maybe its something 'easy')

Thanks!

"Found out with the help of the brother-in-law that if the primer bulb is squeezed when running down, the motor will throttle back up."

This means you're loosing gas line pressure. I would replace the bulb and line before taking it in.

Yep.. check your fuel lines from the fuel tank.. or as close to the fuel tank as possible to where the gas is delivered to the fuel system. Make sure there are no leaks / pin holes / etc. I'd also do as delmuts suggested and replace the primer bulb.

It could also be a weak fuel pump.. but at only 6 years old I'd be surprised.

marine_man

It could be the primer bulb, it could have one of the check valves stickin but it also sounds more like a fuel pump to me. If the bro in law squeezes the primer bulb and it works, that tells me there is a fuel delivery issue. by him doing that, he is essentially taking over as the fuel pump. there is actually no pressure in the fuel line, fuel is drawn through the line, not pushed.