• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to upsize/present live bait?

mainbutter

I'm not much of a fall pike fisherman.. in fact this will be my first fall in MN where I'll have the opportunity to fish!

I've often read that upsizing lures and live bait in fall is a great way to capitalize them being on a real food bag before winter rolls around.

I guess my question is when do I give large lures serious time on the water? I've got a couple large profile hard baits that I've given maybe two or three hours casting time on the water earlier this year, and I raised a couple fish who seemed interested leaving a torpedo wake to the bait but never struck. I figured it was the size that turned them off. Should I start presenting those again now, or perhaps wait for the water temps to drop a bit more?

I've been using "musky" baits pretty much all summer and have seen size and numbers improve over last year when I was using more normal baits (granted I was only out for a couple months end of last summer) but pike in the low 30's will hit these baits and the 37-40something pike seem to respond much better to these big baits than what you'd often think of as pike baits.

If you think large pike are present I wouldn't hesitate to throw DCG's and Mag Dawg sized baits at them regardless of season. Most of my fish this year have come on DCG's, a Doc 9" WTD topwater, and a Suick. I only go to the Dawgs as a last resort since they get chewed up so easily but they work very well for me also.

For sure when I get a big pike, biting onto a smaller hooked pike, I will definitely start tossing my largest lure I have. I guess the most basic rule I have for myself is immitate available forage. I've caught a big 44" on a 1/2 oz rooster tail shortly after I released a small 16" fingerling pike. There were plenty of other fish about the size of the fingerling pike in the area.