• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You build planar boards

I like the single planer boards for both ease of use and storage. Marine General sells them and ya you could make them pretty easy but you wont save much when you factor in time and gas running around for parts. Whatever you do paint them HI VIS ORANGE and flag them! I hate white or dark colored boards especially with no flags. If you run white or dark boards you will get many more people coming at you because they cant see your boards til its too late.

Cedar is good but whatever you use it'll need to be sealed.

I use 1x8x36 ripped to 6 1/2" for double boards.

The front and rear edges are 45 degrees.

The taper is the surface that makes the board plane.

Your circular saw is limited to 45 degrees. You see a lot of homemade boards with that 45 degree planning surface and IMO one reason folks have the opinion that they don't work to well.

You need to increase that surface area of the planing angle. Go ahead and cut the compound angle of the front edge of the board. Now increase that angle by using a disc grinder. I myself put a block of wood on the table of my saw to increase the angle.

full-831-1441-board.jpg

Note the difference in angles.

Use two 3/8th threaded rod to connect the boards together. 1" apart is fine. Use fender washers and nuts. You can stagger the inside board 4" ahead of the outside board if you want. I do that for stability in rough water. On the outside board I attach lead, decoy anchor flat lead will work. The placement for eyebolt to attach the board line is important. 6 to 8" from the front tip of the board is about right.