• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OnTarget2 Archery Software

When I first began archery and bowhunting I relied on the expertise of others to get me going. Whether it was from the folks at the pro shop or the kindness of strangers met at the archery range, I learned the basics of archery. Terms like draw length, brace height, ATA (axle to axle), and spine were foreign to me. I learned the basics and what they meant, but it took several years for me to learn each of their importance and how they all work together to create a perfect combination for the archer.

When I began my search for information with dealing with an issue I had in my shooting I ran across lots of information about having proper arrow spine. All of the different charts recommending arrows lead to different ratings and some weren't even comparable. My search for an online tool lead me to several different software programs that advertise a "spine" or "arrow" selector feature. Many of them have free trials.

I eventually settled on the Ontarget software after being very satisfied with their ease of use, extensive database and abundance of features. Even after I sampled all three of their software demos I knew I had to purchase it. I bought it online and downloaded the full version. Its also available in a CD versions if you like having a hard copy.

Their software has many features including the arrow spine selector. The software allows the user to select their bow from the database and enter in all the pertinent info like draw length, draw weight, let-off. You also choose your arrow including its length, fletching type and any other additions. These selections should give you a ballpark figure of your bow's speed and kinetic energy. The software allows the user to enter in their own data for speed based on several choices in order to fine tune the speed numbers. BY using all of this information you can also create and print sight tapes for various types of sights without having to sight in. The more precise your homework the easier it is to make an accurate sight tape without shooting an arrow.

With this info the user can SEE their trajectory on the screen for various distances. It allows the user to tinker with their bow setup virtually without actually altering the bow. You can make any change allowable and see it's impact. Ever wondered what would happen if you tried new arrows, cranked up your bow a few pounds or maybe bought a new bow? See the effect in real time!

With my curiosity, I find myself using OnTarget software all the time. It has shown me the real effects of numerous variables in archery that were previously hard to explain. I think OnTarget2 software is a great asset for the experienced target archer down to the novice.