• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TIME TO TAKE NOTICE PEOPLE!!!!

Dave S

This is from todays Strib:

Deaths involving all-terrain vehicles in Minnesota this year are on a record pace, state conservation officials said Monday.

So far in 2010, 16 people have died in ATV crashes in Minnesota, according to the state Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

There were 14 ATV fatalities in the state for all of 2009. The one-year record in Minnesota is 24, set in 2004.

"It's hard to really draw conclusions on why they're happening, other than the reckless operation of the ATVs themselves," said Capt. Mike Hammer, the DNR's safety education coordinator. "ATV riding is very popular in Minnesota, but people are operating ATVs beyond their capability."

The latest fatality occurred Aug. 1 in Carver County. Kerry D. Buckentin, 49, of Hamburg, had no formal ATV safety training, which is common to all fatalities this year, the DNR said. Buckentin rolled his ATV on a grass trail near in Hamburg.

DNR officials say that rollovers involving ATVs, which have a high center of gravity, are behind many of the deaths. Since July 4, there have been six ATV fatalities in Minnesota attributed to rollovers.

Anyone 16 and older must complete a training course before operating an ATV. For more information, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/vehicle/atv or call 1-888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157.

again another piece of press to make ATV's look bad. I wish they had stats to go along with these deaths of who was wearing helmets.

Quote:
"ATV riding is very popular in Minnesota, but people are operating ATVs beyond their capability."

I have had bad spills on ATV's doing just that, riding beyond my capability but because I was wearing a helmet, chest protector, riding boots etc I have never been injured and I have had some nasty wrecks (those trees just jump out in front of you sometimes)

just sad to see people ride with no helemts. I dont care if its a easy trail ride or flat out racing. Ive seen people get hurt loading into the back of a truck or onto a trailer. Bottom line accidents can happen anytime and everytime it happends its bad press for our sport, and most of the time serious injuries could have been prevented from just wearing a helmet.

Ages 16 and Older:

Effective January 1, 2006, anyone who operates an ATV and is born after July 1, 1987 must complete the ATV CD Training Course before operating an ATV. Contact the DNR Information Center to receive a copy at 1-888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157.

There is a problem for sure. Part is size and speed. Part is drinking. Part is lack of time on the machine.

[PoorWordUsage] drinking a driving. If you are killed due to inexpericne, freak accidents, well thats called life. (I seriously doubt taking a class will prohibit that) By the way, aren't sales of ATV's up in the past couple years? And if so, its only natural that accidents and deaths will rise.

I guess if a few people die who were drinking whether by snowmobile, atv, cars etc. are gone OH WELL! Cruel, not at all. In other words stop your dammm drinking a driving. If you are killed due to inexpericne, freak accidents, well thats called life. (I seriously doubt taking a class will prohibit that) By the way, aren't sales of ATV's up in the past couple years? And if so, its only natural that accidents and deaths will rise.

Chasineyes--I didn't see anywhere "drinking" was the cause of all these accidents?

I do agree with the increased sales and popularity helping to contribute to crashes. With the "normal" summer we've had people are out riding much more than I've seen in previous years. More people, more riding, more accidents. It's unfortunate but it's statistical.