• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garden Tractor PTO won't engage?

gurkster

Hi,

I have a SEARS Garden Tractor, 46" cut, 20HP KOHLER Engine. I was mowing along and the tractor stopped moving, then stopped running. IT turns out that my main drive belt slipped off the pulley so I put it back on, then I found that my main 30AMP fuse blew so I replaced it. Now the tractor starts, and runs again. However, the PTO to drive the blades is dead. Funny that 3 things like this all happened at once?!? I assume either the PTO Switch, the PTO Clutch itself or some wiring.

I think the switch is good because it has several leads that control other things too. If I pull the swtich the tractor won't start, put it in and it does, but won't engage. I haven't gotten any further in my troubleshooting yet.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Thank you for any help you have.

Do you have reverse override on that switch. Look at the shift linkage, you should see a switch. That could be out of adjustment or the connection at the plug is dirty.

Parking brake off? Some PTOs won't engage with the P brake on.

Of coarse there is a switch there as well.

Gurk -

On the north side of Forest Lake, just south of Hallberg's mini storage on 61 is a small engine / repair shop.

Stop in and talk with him. He'll let you pick his brain usually and is a pretty decent guy price wise if you'd rather just have him fix it.