• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a couple of older Vexilar LCD units (the Boundary Waters models) that we use extensively for canoe fishing. They are the cat's meow for that application.

My CLC200 (the color model) went on the fritz, and we despaired. Vexilar quit making them a while back, and there is simply no acceptable replacement. None.

Earlier this week I dropped off the unit at Vexilar's office down in Bloomington, expecting the worst...

Imagine my surprise to get a vcicemail the next day, informing me that not only was the finder fixed up and ready to go, but there was no charge for the service. What a pleasant and unexpected turn of events.

Vexilar just earned my next purchase.

Vexilar has a well known reputation for steller customer service, and they've earned it. I've also had a simular experience with the company, I left there shaking my head, somewhat shocked at how well I was treated.

JackPine..Do you shoot those BW Vex transducers thru the hull? I always had a eye on those models, and then poof, they were gone. What do you get for battery life? AAs?

Vexilars' dedication to service for the life of the product, and not redundancy of product life, has been a solid foundation to their product line from day 1. Hence the loyal and happy users.

The Vexilar CLC200 Boundary Water was and is a nice convenient and well performing portable sonar unit, most produced are still in use today.

And....Ya never know...they may not be gone for long? wink

I shoot through the hulls of the two Lund boats, the Grumman and Alumacraft canoes, and the Souris River. No problems whatsoever.

We have glued some plastic receivers on the floor of the watercraft that the transducers fit into with a drop or three of water beneath them. In the canoes, they are directly beneath the stern seat, in the boats they are flush with the transom. In the boats you can get some interference from prop wash while trolling if you are too close to center.

Battery life is good. I typically bring one extra batch of AA's (8) for a 3-4 day trip, and seldom have to install them, unless I forget to turn the finder off when we pull in for the evening.....

Please excuse my sort of hijacking this thread, but you guys have me intrigued with these Vexilars. I have never used any of their products (I don't fish hard water), but what little I know about the company, and what you guys have said here, leads me to look into what they have to offer. In my "big boat" I have a Lowrance LMS525C which I havent't had any touble with (knock on my wooden head), and 2 old H-birds. I'm looking at adding a sonar unit to my kayak which I use to fish smaller waters.

The CLC 200 Vex sounds appealing for a couple of reasons: 1) Low battery draw. I'll have to use some sort of rechargeable battery or AA battery pack in the kayak and the smaller/simpler, the better. 2) Easy to install puck style transducer - just silicone into the inside of the plastic hull of the yak. 3) Quality products. 4)Reputable company that stands behind their products.

Questions I have are: 1) What would I notice that would be better/different compared to the basic color sonar units from Lowrance or humminbird? 2) Are the Edge dual frequency models that much more helpful for just paddling around and wetting some lines? The cost looks to be quite a bit more. 3) any other things I need to consider?

Thanks for the help!

My CLC200 has the built in battery compartment. The unit itself is better than I expected when it was purchased. I was a bit surprised to find out how easily I could pick walleyes out of the bottom - once I knew what I was looking at. We spend a lot of time exploring strange lakes in a canoe, and eliminating unproductive water rapidly is a must. We often cruise over structure a few times, and if I don't like what I'm seeing we don't even bother to wet a line - just move on to the next spot.

I'm not as familiar with the other models - so I can't help you out there.

A word on mounting the transducer inside the hull - you can shoot through any solid hull as long as there is water on the face of the transducer. Some kayaks/canoes have a hollow core (with foam in between). You just can't shoot through that stuff. The air gap defeats the beam.

Thanks for the info Rob. My yak is a single layer of plastic so shooting through the hull shouldn't be an issue.

Iboats listed a CLC-200PK on clearance and I ordered one so hopefully they actually do have it. It's the gimbal mount with a puck transducer which is exactly what I want for the yak. I'll put it on a Ram mount and find a gell battery to put in the hatch area. They had the unit marked down to $300 and I found a promo code for 5% off which knocked it down to $285. Ended up at $296 with shipping which isn't a whole lot more than a Low x67c or a H-bird 141c. Now, I hope they actually have one on the shelf.

Does anyone know how long ago Vex discontinued these?

If it is new on the shelf at Iboats and never used it will have the original warranty intact, just keep your sales receipt. But even then I'm not concerned as Vexilar will stand bye it's products long term if service is ever required.

That package should include the Vexilar Pro Mount quick detach, very handy, you will like it on the Yak. You may wish to ask Vexilar about a "Scene Cover" for it. They have been designing new covers, I think one will fit. wink

z_lcd_0.jpg

It has been out of full retail production for 3 to 4 years now, I think? Not 100% sure there...it's a guess?

It may very likely come back into production again with some...lets say "new features"...some time in the future. With the growing Kayak Sportfishing market there is a growing place in the line for such a lightweight portable graph, I personally expect it to return.

I know of many of the first ruin CLC200 Boundary Waters Editions still up and running like new, they tend to hold up well if you take care of them. As "Jackpine Rob" illustrated, they are still serviceable and Vexilar will work with you on any issues that may pop up.

Since It's been out of production for so long I was somewhat skeptical that they actually had it and didn't just show it in inventory due to a computer glitch. I did get confirmation that it has shipped though and it looks like it's coming out of Des Moines so I should have it today. We'll know for sure then I guess.

Ed, what do you mean by "scene cover"?

This does look like a good unit for a kayak and Vex's reputation is a big plus. If they do come out with a new version though, I hope they can keep the price down a little. I'm willing to pay what I did for this one but at the old retail of $369 I'm not so sure I would have done the deal. That's getting to be about twice of what I could buy competitive units for. The Edge3 looks pretty cool but does it have to be $800? I wouldn't spend that but if I was I'd go buy a sonar/GPS unit from H-bird. In my opinion, if Vex wants to get into the kayak market, they'll have to have units available that don't cost more than a guy's kayak.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll let you know what I receive today.

Just a little update here. I received the Vex and it is a brand new unit in a sealed box. Can't wait to get it mounted and try it out.

I tried to bring up the bookmark where I ordered it and a description and photo comes up but the ordering info is gone. Evidently I got the last one and I guess it was my lucky day smile