• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Torn ACL on My Lab

tweedlap

I am sure some of you have experienced this. I am looking for advice.

My dog is 6.5 years old. I think he did the damage chasing after a squirrel.

Are there any non surgical remedies? There are two surgery options.

The vet can do it for $ 1200. or the University can do it for around

$ 3500. These are completely different proceedures.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,

tweed

Sorry, I have been out of town. Here's the synopsis from the U of M HSOforum:

Quote:
Non-surgical management of cranial cruciate ligament rupture

Current Status: Active and enrolling

Principal Investigator: Vicki Wilke, DVM, PhD, DACVS

Dr. Vicki Wilke: 612-625-4966

Research Technician Sara Pracht: 612-626-3574

ELIGIBILITY

Dogs with unilateral cranial cruciate ligament rupture will be considered as study participants.

Study participants must be willing to have a tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO) performed on the affected knee

Study participants must meet the following inclusion criteria:

Body weight > 15 kg (33 pounds)

Body condition score > 6/9

Essentially normal baseline CBC, biochemistry profile, urinalysis

No prior surgery for CCLR in dog’s medical history

No use of steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for 5 days

DESCRIPTION OF STUDY

Two randomly assigned groups: Non-surgical treatment group (weight loss plan, physical therapy, NSAIDS) and Surgical group (same plus TPLO surgery)

Progress followed with a client questionnaire, clinical assessment by an orthopedic surgeon, DEXA scan to measure body fat and muscle mass, gait analysis and radiographs of affected knee at four time points: the initial visit, at 6 weeks, at 12 weeks and at 6 months.

Client is responsible for initial exam, baseline labwork, initial radiographs and all costs associated with surgery if assigned to surgery group

Study pays for recheck exams and radiographs, DEXA scans and gait analysis, Rehab program of initial plus 6 sessions, 3-month supply of Deramaxx, individually tailored nutrition plan and 3-month supply of weight management diet, CBC, chemistry and UA at week 12

$100 payments at 12-week recheck and 6-month recheck

If you have a potential candidate for the study or have any further questions, please contact Dr. Wilke, Sara Pracht or Dr. Wucherer (see above).

Ralph,

Thanks for the informative post.

I called Dr Vicki this morning and unfortunately the study is now

full. They have the 40 dogs they need for the study group.

She is a very nice woman and she spent a lot of time explaning a variety

of things, about the ACL injury itself and about their study.

Thanks, again !

tweed

I have a chocolate lab that had both knees repaired. There are two types TPLO and TTA. My dog has TTA on both but this depends on the angle of their bones. If their slope is too high they will do TPLO. My first was at age 4 and the 2nd was at age 6. Both healed and she is running like a champ again. It isn't a cheap surgery but she is like one of our kids. If you have questions let me know. I'm not an expert but I have been down this road.

My dog just came up with a limp about one week ago in one of her front legs. At first I thought it might have been that she stepped on something, but I found no evidence of that which leads me to believe it is internal/structural. What were the symptoms your dogs showed that had ligament damage? Did they put any weight on the leg or not? My dog is about 10 months old and I do not know what caused the limp. After one week she is still limping and cautious on that leg, but seems to be limping slightly less. At what point do I bring her in for X-rays?

Cant say what it is only a vet can. Last year my 1 year old brittany came up sore and at first was diagnosed (incorrectly)by my regular vet as an ACL. I took him to an orthepedic vet Dr Levine considered to be one of the top vets in MN. It turned out it wasnt an ACL but a luxated patella (trick knee). This was surgically repaired with great success and the dog was better off it was this problem vs an ACL. My point is go to the vet if after some rest the limb is still sore and make sure they are experienced in handling these injuries.

My yellow lab had TPL done last Feb. He is was 96 lbs but now down to 84. His muscle mass didn't come back in the surgery repaired leg. He is still very spry for being 10 but has balance issues.

He isn't limping as bad as he used to but his days of running the fields are pretty much done. He can do some very short easy runs but I won't risk having him run the cat tails and heavy cover.

Swabby

My dog tore her first one slipping on the ice in the winter. She started limping immediately and within a few days stopped putting weight on it. The second happened when we had 3 feet of snow last winter. She loves snow and jumped into the snow. It was too deep and when she tried to turn to get back out she tore the second in the other leg. My vet told me when he does one knee around 50 percent return for the other within 2 years. Her front legs have been good but if she is still limping after a week I would take her to the vet. Mine lost muscle mass in both but it came back in the first and she is still building mass in the second.