• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fried fuel pump Yammy 115?!?

Ufatz

Holy Moly you guys. Got a bill today for $400 for replacement of fuel pump in a Yamaha 115. It was run totally dry -totally out of fuel- by a young nephew.

The "expert" diagnosis was running it dry killed the pump. Today I got the bill.

I am no outboard engine expert but this is the first time I have heard of a fuel pump being fried in a matter of seconds.

I'm a big boy and I can take my punishment like a man, but am not sure this is on the square? What do you fellas think??

What? The part is only $60 and it takes 15 minutes to change.

I'd go back and have him show you where that $400 went into the motor. Ive replaced mine on my 150 and its easy. The 115 and the 150 are prety much the same.

Though mine is an older motor but I dought their that much differant unless its fuel injected.

You just can't get a break with that motor. I know when I called Yamaha they said to drain the fuel system before storage and then make sure I prime the system with the bulb in the spring so the fuel pump does not run dry when first starting it, for this reason. I guess I figured they had to be more robust than that...but maybe not? Luckily have have not had to find out.

Croix, the F115 is fuel injected.

Ha! That would make a difference.

Ouch!

I always cringe when I here a fuel pump that has gone out. Its probably differant with a fuel injected, when one of my fuel pumps went out on the carbed model I melted a piston and she froze up.

Ouch... that's a hit to the wallet!

Any idea what the whole story is? How long was the key in the "on" position when it was out of fuel?

Looks like the part runs around $175 online... depends on how much time they have into diagnosing it and replacing it... I don't think it's too far out of the ballpark, albeit on the high end of the range... but that's probably mostly due to the labor rate at any given shop.

marine_man

Well okay, I suck it up and get on with life. Marine dude had done a couple things on boat including draining tank and adding filter. Nephew assumed there was fuel in it when he picked it up. He dropped it in lake, fired it up and got 150' from the beach when it stopped. Guess what? no fuel at all. Bingo!! fried fuel pump. Man it sure didn't take much to do it!

I have NO basic worries about this engine: it has been faultless for six years.

I will NOW make certain there is fuel in it at all times!! You live and you (pay) learn!! HA!!