• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blight on the tommies

My tommies have blight. It's the kind where the lower leaves turn darn near yellow and get a bunch of spots on them. I'm told the only real cure for this is to move the garden to a different spot next year. I've been told this by quite a few people.

Moving would suck.

Any insight on how, besides moving the garden, to get rid of this fungus???

Eric,

The best stuff that I have found is a spray from Ortho.

It should be applied weekly from early in the growing season.

It can be used on squash and pumpkins, too.

Ortho makes several of these "Garden Disease Control" products

that is why I am listing the active ingredient. I need more of

the stuff myself but after reading the ingredients they were not

the same, so I am still looking.

I used this stuff last year, too. It seems to really slow down the

blight. I won't say it stops it.

Good Luck !

Ortho

Max

Garden Disease Control

concentrate

Active Ingredients

Clorothalonil 29.6 %

Other 70.4 %

Geez I hope Ken W chimes in here as he seems to have it goin' on when it comes to tomatoes. I like tomatoes and I get lots of questions about them but they are not my main focus when it comes to our garden. With tomatoes, I tend to fall back on some basic principles of plant/crop production. This includes simple things like rotation out of tomatoes or related plants for 3 or 4 years in the same soil & planting resistant varieties. Easily done here as the variety of plants and area the garden entails is relatively large & the wife working at a large greenhouse doesn't hurt. Others are not as fortunate. Daconil is a brand of chlorothalonil. The latest on parasitic diseases of tomatoes from the U:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1155.html

I don't know to much about disease.I have blight on 2 of my tomato plants that are growing in my greenhouse.I always plant some right in the ground inside the greenhouse.

I try to plant everything on a 3 year rotation to keep disease at a minimum.Usually I get more tomatoes than I know what to do with even if I lose some plants to disease.

My main planting has 22 plants with no blight on them yet.

I also plant some blight resistant varieties like Legend.