• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RADISHES

Get'n Jiggy

I planted radishes in a whiskey barrel this spring, as soon as they came up they started sending up seed shoots. Never did set any bulbs. Wondering what I did wrong? I fertilized and watered, been doing the same thing with carrots for years with good success. confused

I don't know where the "up north" is in your sig, but we had excellent radishes of three varieties that we planted late in May, and none of them bolted like yours. Did you pinch off the seed shoots as soon as they appeared? That might have gotten them into bulb growing mode. Do you remember what variety they were?

It could be you shouldn't have fertilized. That might have sent them into explosion mode. I lay either rotted (composted) manure on my raised veggie beds in fall, or broadcast granular 12-12-12 fertilizer at that time, depending on which I have or which is cheaper. It all works in nicely with spring snowmelt.

I don't fertilize my veggies in those beds beyond that fall application. Corn is an exception because it demands a lot of food to be its best.

Next time try it without fertilizing and see if that makes a diff. Also, since they are in a barrel like that, you can plant them quite a bit earlier and just lay an old window or piece of plexiglass over the top of the barrel. Instant cold frame. I'm going to do that with my radishes and cabbage family stuff next spring. Most of my raised beds are 4x8, which makes it very easy to lay old storm windows over them.

Radishes are one of my all-time favorites, and because they mature so quickly I love to experiment with different varieties. Also, lay in a bunch of seed in late August or early September. Since raddies are cool weather lovers, you'll usually have a great crop by late September.

Thanks for the ideas. grin Upnorth is just north of brainerd. I have 2 4X12 raised beds and your cold frame idea is great. I always have a problem trying to get my green beans to pop at the same time, I try to get them in early but I end up with voids as the ground may not be warm enough, the cold frame idea should work for them too. I appreciate the help!

Jiggy, I always put at least two bean seeds in each hole and use a scissors to thin out the weakest seedling at the 2-leaf stage. Often enough, only one seed will sprout, but when I planted a single seed per hole I'd have those same voids. Maybe the soil is just a little too cold for germination of the weaker seeds, or maybe bush bean seeds just aren't all that vital in the first place.

Foster,

Here in the south (Chaska) I will be planting kohlarabi, cabbage and

radishes in a couple of weeks. The spinach will go in a week later.

These are all good fall treats.

tweed

Agreed, 'cept for the spinach. Spinach is NEVER a treat. MIght as well eat Brussels sprouts or Swiss chard. You southerners will eat anything! gringrinshockedshocked