• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baileys Harbor / Gills Rock 7/19-7/21

In the water a 4am. Monday

First to fire was the white spin doctor with aqua fly at 50 down over 80 fow.

Next was the lit J in fire tiger down 35 in 75 fow. back 115

Third was the pro king mag green dolphin 100 back 55 down 94 fow

Again the lit J #4 in fire tiger took a 16 pounder 50 down 85 fow 135 back

best we could tell current was .5 mph N to S speeds always 1.9 - 2.3 mph

last fish went on the blue glow fishlander in full sun 60 down 60 back 90 fow

5 for 5 with action slow to average.

Got rained out in the evening, so it's on to day 2.

first fish a 7 am. on the lit #4 j plug again 50 down 115 back 87 fow

next 4 fish all clean spoons run 50 -70 down 100-135 back 20# flourocarbon

Can't buy a fish on the dipsy or FF combo's

Last fish of the morning nice 15.5 # king pink alewife glow full sun.

We fished Gills Rock in the evening but lighting took us of as we tried to go twice. got lines set and the fronts just kept on coming. fish count zero.

Day three is really nice weather light SW to West wind at 4:30 am.

Not a single fish until we found them a 7am. about 2 miles farther south and then the friggin chinese fire drill was on with a double 15+ lb pair of kings went nuts. 1 fish on the lit j agian and 1 on the blue dolpin stinger down 60 and 65 back 100+.

Next 5 fish came all on clean spoons and J's, best colors where green and blue dolphin mag spoons and of course the lit J's in fire tiger black ladder back glow.

fish had alewife and some herring in the bellies.

wife were small herring where 6-7 inches which explains the mag spoons.

We did throw back 3 shakers and kept one 3 pound king that had been dragged to long as well as one 25in. bow.

My crew was 67 year old handicapped gent that fell down twice in the boat fighting kings until I told him he had to sit after the second go round and I would hand him the rod.

And a 60 year old rookie that could not set riggers but could drive and net.

I lost 5 pounds in three days working my tail off and loving it, as all fish were taken on the riggers no lead core fish, no planner board fish and not a single fish on the dipseys. still trying to figure that one out. maybe speed.

We went 18 for 18 with the total catch of kings averaging about 14 lbs

I may have to break down and buy a raider.

Will post some pics as soon as the guys send me photos.

Fishgutz.... Our crew was fishing out of Ellison Bay the week before and slammed the Kings... We ended up sending everyone home with their possion limit so we had a total of 50 fish... Our weather was bueatiful most of the week.. to the point of when we finally did get a storm we actually needed it so we could get some rest... Our take of 50 was with only 3 lost... The majority of our fish came from 40-60' down in 80-100 FOW... And the glow spoons were the ticket.. smaller size...not the magnums... Toward the end of the trip we only ran 2 lines just to keep some controlled chaos... Fish ranged from 8-21# with and average weight of around 14-15#... What a blast...

Awesome!

Baileys was on fire as well as the banks for 2 weeks before we got there.

They are still pounding fish on the bank out of sturgeon bay.

Last year we did well at Gills with out biggest fish coming there at just under 25 lbs. lots of fish coming on natural J's 50 down.