• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak advice for a beginner anyone?

Alright, I don't have a boat, nor can I afford one. I'm a college student and drive a grand prix for a car. I am getting a bit sick of shore fishing the same spots night after night, so I have decided that maybe I ought to invest in a fishing kayak. My problem is that I don't know what to look for. I am just fine with buying something used, so long as it's still in good condition. I would like to get some opinions and advice on what a new person to the kayaking world ought to look for when thinking about purchase.

I am 6'1 and 230lbs, so I know the weight limit I will have to watch for so that I can still bring some gear with me. I also didn't see any classified ad's for kayaks for sale, so does anyone know any other site that would be a good place to start? I am going to look on hsolist tonight just to see what's out there. Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't have a kayak as of yet (its in the near future plans) but I've been researching a lot on the subject for the past few months. I want to make sure I make the most educated purchase I can. From what I gather (although some is personal preference) the following are a few options that need addressed.

Where do you fish/plan on fishing (calm rivers/lakes any rapids etc)

Will you only fish sitting or do you want to sight fish as well?

Do you want a dedicated fishing kayak or something more multipurpose?

There are a few different types of boat; whitewater, fishing, touring, Hybrid, and general recreational.

Whitewater - Short, sit in, no frills, initial stability low/final stability high - not great for fishing.

Touring - Long, sit in or sit on tops, narrow to run fast and have good glide. - not really the best for fishing, but could be manageable (I'd suggest against it though)

Hybrid - Exactly what it says, it's a hybrid between a kayak and another type of boat, commonly a canoe.

Recreational - Varying lengths, sit in or sit on top, varying stability (many available with high initial stability) greatly vary from boat to boat on speed and glide - can be good for fishing

Fishing - Typically a recreational model that has been modified for fishing (rod holders, anchor, bait tank, etc) - Obviously great for fishing

Normally you will want a Rec or fishing boat with higher initial stability, with a decent width somewhere between 30-36 inches. Remember though, the wider it is the slower it is, but wider=more initial stability.

Sit on top is much better for fishing because of the amount of storage available and the ability to get to it while on the water. Typically with a sit in you will need to get to shore to open hatches so you don't dump the boat.

I'll give you a list of boats that I personally am looking at, but you really need to go to a store that you can demo the boats at and make your own decisions based upon which you like the best.

Native Watercraft - Manta Ray 14

Wilderness Systems - Tarpon 140

Ocean Kayaks - Prowler Trident 13

Malibu Kayaks - Stealth 14

These are just a few that I have narrowed down to choose from, but I won't make a final decision until I paddle them all and compare for myself.

Thanks for the great kayak info Maddog, sorry but those direct links to other websites aren't allowed around here. Feel free to post some key words that someone might be able to search on like - rutabaga kayak and canoe. But please don't post the direct link.

You've defineatly done your homework on Kayaks, sounds like you will make the right decision for yourself when the time comes to make the purchase.

Post something on HSO after you get your new rig, I'm sure others would be interested on your review of the new boat. Thanks again for the info.

Wow maddog2099, I appreciate all of your input. I've looked at a few boats so far, and have definitely put in my research so far. The boats that I've looked at so far have been...

1) Old Town Dirigo XT 120 Angler model

2) Old Town Vapor 12xt

3) Wilderness Pungo 120

4) Perception Patriot Sport 12.0 Angler

I have some more I'm going to be looking at this coming week as I will be near a Bass Pro Shop.

The type of water I will mainly be paddling will be some of my area lakes. Smaller, bay areas usually. I will however, be going out for leisure rides in some of our rivers. For the most part they are pretty calm, but do offer the occasional class 1 and 2 rapids. I can say that so far, my front runner is definitely the Old Town Dirigo Xt 120. Although it's a sit in, I liked all of the leg room, as well as dash space that it offered. There in my opinion, would be a little more stability for the local rivers as well as plenty of room to keep my small tacklebox. Let me know if you have any info on this kayak. Thanks!

Ted, I was in the same boat (or lack of) a few months ago and now have 3 kayaks. If you want, you can go to the NEbraskaFishGameAssocianion site (put a dot org after the 5 capital letters) and look at the kayak fishing forum to see the whole story unfold. There are getting to be more and more members of the plastic navy down here and we're even getting several paddle tourneys going on. Here's what I ended up getting from one of the forum members who does guided kayak fishing trips:

IMG_1228.jpg

I have done a lot of fishing out of both the lime colored Edge and the yellow Temptation and the Temptation is my favorite. I have fished out of an OT Dirigo also but I'd pick the Temptation any day. I would really recommend the SOT. I really like the 10' long boat for maneuverability and easy of hauling but lots of guys have the 12' boats and like them. BPS's new Ascend 12' SOT is a nice boat for the money so look it over if you go there.

Check out the NEbraskaFishGameAssociation forum and have fun with whatever you end up with. BTW, We're heading up to West Battle next week and will have our 3 yaks with us as well as the big boat. I'd like to take the yaks out on Annie Battle and possibly down the Otter Tail river also.

I haven't been on any rivers yet but I don't see where one would be better than the other - in mild stuff. One of the guys (jump-n-fish) on the NE forum fishes rivers in Alabama where he lives and I know he uses a Heritage Redfish 12 (a very nice boat BTW). You probably wouldn't be as likely to get washed off of a SInK (unless you have leg restraints) but if you take any water in it's not going to roll off like on a SOT.

Check out some other forums like Texas Kayak Fisherman, Kayak Fishing Stuff, yak fishing, kayak fishing magazine, etc and I think you'll find that most guys are using SOTs whether they're on the gulf surf, rivers, lakes, or ponds.

I have the OT Dirigo 12' & it works just fine for fishing; last night I caught a nice catfish on the St. Croix!

There is a wide selection available on the market & each seems to have their specialty...I can only comment on my experience with OT Dirigo:

1. comfortable seat with lumbar control

2. it serves double duty in our house, as the girls do not want to fish when the family goes kayaking

3. Both 10' & 12' OT Dirigo models track well and really are fast

4. The 12' is not suitable for smaller, narrow rivers with fast currents - unless you like to helicopter around on the water!

5. I have never had a problem taking in water while kayaking on the St. Croix - even when all the crazies are out there. I have never taken it on Superior or Michigan, so maybe it would be a different story on the great lakes.

6. It is pretty safe & easy to fish, especially in the fall when colder water temperatures really cool the bones.

Anyway, just my thoughts...good luck

As the other responses above mention, finding the fishing kayak that fits your needs(and budget) will reap fantastic trips and memories for you. After searching locally(for me it's Crow Wing cty, MN) for what kayaks are available (Crow Wing, Redfish, Pelican, MalibuKayak), we settled on the Fish and Dive Mini-X model from MalibuKayaks. Our reasons were: small(10' max. due to wanting to stay small, portable and lightweight), stable(weighs 40 lbs, has 33.5 width), accessories(the rectangular 10"x12"x10" waterproof hatch (was the biggest and best hatch option among the models)between your legs is GREAT for storage of gear, lunch, etc) and cost(got them on discount at GMtn for $500). We are planning some local river trips so I can't offer any firsthand experience on them for that yet, but for the lakes we have been on, they work great. I did not get a longer model because I am not worried about tracking or hard rowing - we want them to float and fish out of comfortably, which they do. We bought the Apex1 seats and they are a treat to sit in. BTW, I am 6'3", 225 lbs and am very comfortable sitting in it(for up to 3 hrs already); the max weight of 325 lbs allows for additional storage if needed. Good luck on your purchase and the trips to follow.

We just bought a couple of Future Beach fishing kayaks and really like them. They're a good value for the money as the sales guy put it (about $600 for the pair). A couple of other things to consider - how will I transport them and where will I put them? We can move our's on our minivan roof pretty nicely with a 2x4 put across, some criss-crossed ratched straps and bungees on the front and back. You can also buy spendy carriers or foam and strap kits for the roof. We also built a holder for our kayaks at the lake to keep them off the ground and so they're secure and won't blow away in the storm. Just looks like two crosses that they rest on and are tied onto.

if your primary purpose of the yak is for fishin, again i would recommend a SOT. your not going to rig a sit in like this below. besides the rod holders they come with. you can use a milk crate like shown that most do also and attach pvc tubing for more holders and extra storage.

even for fishin the river, i'd prefer a sot, easier to get in or out of and/or bail out if needed. as mentioned most all surf fisherman have SOT exactly like the below model, the ocean kayak prowler trident series.

oceankayak.jpg

SOTs are great, but if you like to get out early in the season a SINK is much warmer. You dont get the water coming up the scupper holes and the kayak stays a bit warmer 'inside'.

I personally think a great SOT (Tarpon 120 is about perfect) is the way to go. For rivers, and most lakes. The problem with MN lakes is there are so many power boaters out on the bigger lakes the biggest challenge is being seen by them.

I recommend a bright colored kayak, stay visible out there, and start out slow. Get the boat and get out there, then worry about 'rigging' it how you want it. Its a process.

Considering I'll be selling my canoe in a few hours, I found this thread very informational. I do have one question. How do these yaks handle in the wind? My 17 foot canoe was a real pain, even in a 10 mph wind. I would imagine you'd pretty much need an anchor if you were casting for bass in a small lake.

X-Tackleman... I can now actually add some info to this topic that might be of a little bit of help. I've had my Kayak out three times so far. Every time has been a blast, and every time has been different conditions. I went out a fairly windy day (15+mph) and yes a anchor is definitely a must. I have a 12' sit in, and the wind pushed me around a great deal. The lake was very small (Ballantyne in South Central MN) and even than, the waves were big enough to push me into the shoreline weeds. I wouldn't expect a kayak to handle any better in the wind, than the canoe did though.

If I can chime in... I bought a HobieCat Mirage drive kayak a couple years ago and wouldn't consider ANY other boat at this point for solo kayak fishing. It has the Mirage foot-pedal drive system which is INVALUABLE for fishing. I can troll, hands free with it. Now, the cost is higher, but you really do get what you pay for! I installed a battery pack and LCD depth finder in it and am looking to install some fixed LED lighting so I can see the cockpit area better at dusk/dawn - better fishing those times, right? grin

Take a look at Hobie's HSOforum. There's some good demo videos etc on there. I have the Outback but since I bought mine, a couple newer, more fishing-targeted models have come out. I like my outback though.