• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Oil Alarm

Ralph Wiggum

Heading across the lake on Friday, my outboard started doing the no oil alarm (BEEP - BEEP - BEEP). There was plenty of oil in the resivoir.

I killed it instantly and dropped the bowmount to head to the landing. It now sounds the alarm whenever the key is on, even if the motor isn't running.

I'm assuming it's a sensor problem. The motor is a 1993 Mercury 60 HP.

Had a similar thing happen to both my '93 40hp and '95 150 mercs. On the 40 it kept going off and wound up being a bad warning sensor. The manual explains a pretty simple test you can do to check for it. If you don't have your manual let me know I'll pass on that info. On my 150 it's a little wierder deal. When we run the oil down in the remote tank the alarm goes off. So we refill the remote tank, and even though the reservoir mounted on the engine is still nearly full, the alarm continues to go off until we've removed the cap of the reservoir a couple times. I think it's an air lock or something, because we put a new oil sensor cap on the reservoir and it still did the same thing once. Good luck.

Is it still an intermittant beep? Look for the 2 blue wires coming from the oil tank and disconnect one of them. If the beep goes away, its the float switch in the tank. If it continues its in the warning module. I have come across 2 bad float switches on basically the excect same engines as yours in the last month including my Dads 1989 80 just this past weekend.