• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bench seat removal

AnglerJake

I modified my Lund S14 earlier this Spring. I left in portions of the middle and rear bench seats on each side to save the bracing. The little benches come in handy for setting small items and I will be adding some cup holders. I used aluminum extrusions for the bracing under the casting platform to cut down on weight and for added strength. The boat is much more enjoyable to fish out of and not having that bench between my legs is heavenly! Good luck on your mod.

boat4.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

boat5.jpg

Jim makes another good point I forgot to mention. One thing you don't want to do is take out the middle benches foam (1/3 of the boats flotation) and not redistribute new foam anywhere into the boat. On my boat, I had a 16ft Lund and took out the middle bench and was lucky to have high density foam already inplace under the other benches and sidewalls. Also, the middle bench in my 16ft did not have any foam in it originally, as it was not entirely a full bench across, but you could make it a full bench with a piece of plywood (hard to explain).

Here are before and after pics of my boat.

3.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

Good point on the foam flotation guys. I forgot to mention that. I did add foam under the front casting platform and under the floor. Although the wood floor adds some flotation, it's best to add extra foam.

AJ,

i removed my middle seat some 20 years ago and it's been very nice for my muskie fishing with the big net, boxes and just handling of larger fish (when I catch one). No worries it should be good for rigidity.

mr