• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog in Heat

St_Croix_Banks

Well, I did a search and can come up with nothing on this site.

I've got a 6 month old GWP that I understand can go into heat at any time. 3 previous females that I've owned were all spayed before heat cycle, so I've never experience this situation. My vet recommended I let this dog go through 1 cycle before spaying her for medical reasons. So here I am looking for tips, advice on how to deal with this. The dog is inside the house a good part of the day. Does anyone use the doggie diapers? I know the MOST important thing is to obviously not let them out unsupervised and without a leash.

Feedback appreciated.

My Chocolate went into heat at about 11 months.

We have a larger fabric diaper with velcro straps and taped the doggie diapers inside of the big one. She only had to wear them for about 8 days, so it wasn't too bad.

The trick is to dictate the behavior immediately when putting the diaper on. Mine wanted to bite it right away and I held her head away and said "no" twice and then she left it alone.

Never had a FemaleDog, but all the folks I know with intact [PoorWordUsage] use some sort of diaper.

I will emphasize to keep her at home if at all possible (no trips to the park, stores, etc). Intact males will go absolutely nuts. Even my neutered male gets quite intrigued smile

Our vet suggested our yellow lab go through a heat cycle also. She had it a little over 10 months old and lasted just under 3 weeks. Hers was so mild we didn't need anything. We were all glad she wasn't a gusher.