• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Idaho Area 61 Muzzleloader Nov 11-Dec 9

Hello, My buddy and I just got drawn for an elk hunt in Idaho for area 61 Muzzleloader season. This will be my first elk hunt. Going with an outfitter Robert Hennefer from Little Wood River Outfitters. Can anyone give me any info on how the Elk are in this area or anyone that has used Robert. Thanks from Minnesota!!

Dock,

I hunted your unit once several years ago. It was a spike only rifle hunt. We hunted north of Sheridan Res. We killed 3 spikes and saw several branch antlered bulls. This was prior to wolves becoming more prevalent. I don't know how they have impacted the critters in that specific area. We stayed in an old ranch cabin that my good friends father in law built many, many years ago when he was ranch foreman for a huge cattle operation over there.

Tremendous country tho. Lot's of moose! That country is all quite high in elevation so you'd be well advised to get your frame in shape prior to the hunt. I don't know anything about the outfitter.

I'll keep my ears open for any recent info.

WD

Thanks Wallydog, We will be using I believe pack horses for gear and such. I really don't know a lot about it myself. Going with a good friend. I met the outfitter at the Fargo sportshow we had booths right next to each other as my wife and I run a Northern Minnesota resort. Worked out a pretty good deal with him. Really just looking for a good time. Excited, but not looking to shoot a trophy just to have a good time. Makes no difference to me. Oh and maybe I should start working out a bit!!

Dock,

You know cold weather well enough to have snow and cold gear.........You are very apt to have MN winter conditions for your hunt. Make sure to keep your powder dry! You may well be hunting out on the "flats" for critters that have migrated, many of which come from the Montana side.

What lake are you on?

WD

Yep we are going on a one on one with the outfitter. Sounds like the elk we will be hunting will be migrating from west Yellowstone. I'm not to worried about the cold weather. Cold to you and us is different. I have ice fished in 30 below weather just have to dress with good equipment. We are located on Lake Kabetogama within Voyageurs National Park. We sponsor the Crane, Kabetogama, Namakan forum on this site www.minnesotafishingresorts.com. Thanks for the help!!

Dock,

I've been thinking about your hunt a little. Have you asked the outfitter if there is any chance that the elk will have migrated out of your unit by the time you hunt?? I believe those elk winter out in the lava flow country south of your unit boundary. Not instilling any panic by any means, just think the question to him might be in order.

WD

Our trip is just around the corner and everyone is excited. How has the weather been in Idaho? Just wondering if the elk will be moving from Yellowstone down into area 61? Thanks for any info that you Idaho folks can provide a Minnesotan!!

Hey Wally, Nice to hear from you. That's good news for our group. We are on schedule to be in Idaho for the opener Nov 11, so I hope the timing will be good. The only bad thing is our Whitetail opener here is Nov 6, so we can only hunt for a few days. What is the rule on Blaze orange for hunting in Idaho? Any idea. Any tips or info is greatly appreciated!!!