• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best "No Tresspassing No Hunting" signs?

Just got permission to hunt some private land and after walking thru the land with the owner we discover 2 treestands that aren't supposed to be there. The owner knows who treestands they are, they are the farmers sons who rent the field from him.

He never gave them permission to hunt there, only farming the field.

The treestands are in the adjacent woods on a trail leading to a creek and other trails that go thru the woods.

In Minnesota according to tresspassing laws, you cannot hunt agriculture land without permission, you can hunt non-agriculture land (wwods) without permission unless posted. And if you do hunt non-agriculture land (woods) the land owner has the right to tell you to leave without breaking tresspassing laws.

What are the best signs to but to keep tresspassers out? sick

Just got permission to hunt some private land and after walking thru the land with the owner we discover 2 treestands that aren't supposed to be there. The owner knows who treestands they are, they are the farmers sons who rent the field from him.

He never gave them permission to hunt there, only farming the field.

The treestands are in the adjacent woods on a trail leading to a creek and other trails that go thru the woods.

In Minnesota according to tresspassing laws, you cannot hunt agriculture land without permission, you can hunt non-agriculture land (wwods) without permission unless posted. And if you do hunt non-agriculture land (woods) the land owner has the right to tell you to leave without breaking tresspassing laws.

What are the best signs to but to keep tresspassers out? sick

Just as a precaution, I think it is worth investigating the lease agreement that the farmer has with the landowner. The farmer's son(s) who placed the stands may have either be confused by the rights provided in the lease of the property OR the lease may actually provide the farmer with a right to use the land for hunting purposes.

Many farm leases will actually grant useage rights to the entirety of a property and not just to the tillable acreage. The landowner may have inadvertantly or unknowingly granted them the right to hunt the land. Either that, or the renters kid(s) may simply be confused as to the renter's rights under the lease.

Saw no trespassing signs in Alaska:

"If you value your life, don't"

Effective, but probably not legal here in Minnesota

I use metal ones on boards and use tree steps to get them up above someone's easy reach/tear down "the wind must of got it" height.

Use nails to attach sign to board then 2 big spikes to anchor board to tree. Solid enough to hold my weight. Neighbors are fine, signs are more for the nearby cabin people that wander across/by three properties/thru fences/past trespass signage and say they didn't see any property lines/signs/etc. It always is a hunter or someone looking to get a free christmas tree.

lakevet

InTheNorthwoods, the father of the person who owns the land now is passed away as the father was the person who rented the land to the farmer.

The owner's son never said he was allowed to hunt there, only farm the field.

He said he was going to tell them to remove the treestands or lose them, so we'll see what happens as I will be putting up treestands this coming weekend and putting up signed no tresspassing signs. grin

Being the current land owner is physically un-able to put up signs, he will put his name and signature on the signs and I will be posting them where he says. He also told me if anybody tresspasses while i'm there that I have the authority to tell them to get off the property or be reported to the authorities.

I do have written permission to hunt on his land, and nobody else has permission!

I use the vinyl ones and we have them printed up at a printing shop. I put up approx 100 every year.

I would use the meatl ones but they seem to dissapear to often on us.

When I use the vinyl ones, I also place a pice of wood on the back on many of them to help keep them hanging as the wind can cause issues.

Funny thing is, the signs only keep out the honest people. Some, walk right by.

If I only had top put up less than 2 dozen, I would go with the alum ones.