• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crows?

esox49

Anyone have a suggestion to get rid of crows? I have a family of crows that has moved in and can not get rid of them. They will literally knock the bird feeders around to get seed to spill out of them to eat. I have stopped filling the feeders, but they still are around. I can not shoot them since I live in town. Any suggestions?

Sounds like they've probably got a nest nearby. Not much you can do about that really. The crows around here don't bother my feeders though, mostly the red-winged blackbirds.

Most things like owl decoys don't really work on crows because they like to harass them instead.

Sound wierd, but, we have had problems with them in tha past and a scare crow worked only when we put a realistic looking toy gun in the scare crow hands. We couldn't leave it out 24/7, but once a day for several hours seemed to work.

Granted, the idea came about after a few beers... but it worked. They can a rather big pain not only for the bird feeder but they never seem to be quite. crazy

The American Crow is protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treat Act. Other than that, open season on them in Minnesota this summer/fall runs from July 15 through October 15. The regs say crows also can be taken any time when in the act of committing or when they are about to commit damage. As to whether raiding your bird feeder qualifies as damage, I don't know, but if they are slamming the feeders around to dislodge seed, I could make a convincing argument they are doing damage to the feeders, or are about to. And of course as mentioned you might find trouble with the city of Owatonna if you start blasting away with a .22 or 12 gauge. smile

Try baiting them in by putting a blind 20 yards from the feeders, filling the feeders and letting the blind stay out there until they get used to it. You'll probably only have a chance to nail one of them before they scatter, but that'll be a deterrent.

I have no help for you other to add a fun story..

The wife was in the garden the other day.. and had a Mole run over her foot.. Like actually OVER her foot. She told me it was my job end the life of the said "Mole"...

So I am sittin on my deck drinking a barley pop trying to decide what on earth I am going to do to get rid of this beast in the flower garden.. when this crow swoops out of now where and dives into the garden.. It lifts off with the fugitive in its beak.. I toasted it, called the wife and said I have taken care of the garden beast... It was a VERY good day to be me!

Dude, honest.. It was awesome.. I had no clue... Live Trap?? Trap?? It was going to get ugly.. I was probably going to hurt myself somewhere along the way.. So there I am, contemplating life, wondering, how can I make my wife happy.. Kill or at least displace this 3" long beats(not including the tail) And boom... Crow.. Carries my problems into the wild blue yonder.

Wish I could have recorded the phone conversation with the wife... had my chest all puffed out like a Turkey in heat.. In my best Tim the Tool man voice.. "Mole is taken care of.. "... wife="really.. wow, what did you do?"... me= "I dont want to bore you with the bloody details, just want you to know you will not be having any more problems with Mr. Mole."...

I'm a hero!!!

Almost any animal that is or is about to do damage is able to be shot. I agree with trolloni, a lot of quiet, accurate air guns are out there. Although my neighbor walks around any time of the day shooting grackles with his, I would reccomend early morning to be on the down low.

Edit: Be sure of your target and what's beyond.