• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hematoma?

deerminator

How many of you have had a dog have this? And what was your experience? Our beagle got one on his ear, it's grown to a bump the size of about a dime now and stayed that way for a few weeks. Looks like it's bleeding a little every now and then. We took him to the vet three weeks ago and she said these usually resolve themselves within 2-3 months so let's wait til the end of August and if it hasn't, she'll surgically remove it. Basic reasoning was, if it will likely go away on its own, why mess with slicing it off. She said to go ahead and put antibiotic ointment on it once or twice a day. It might not help but it won't hurt. My wife keeps telling me we should bring him back in to get it sliced off but the vet seems to think we're worrying too much. She'll do the surgery if we want and whenever, but just doesn't think it's necessary yet.

Not a hematoma, but my Lab pup had a histiocytoma about 3-4 months ago on his front, left leg. Nasty looking thing. Was about the size of a half golf ball and looked like a strawberry or raspberry. Did some research on the internet and thought I had it figured out but then cost me a good $100 and change at the vet to tell me what I already knew. It was worth it though as they tested it and was not malignant, so that put my mind at ease. Wasn't 2 weeks after the vet trip it was totally gone and now you can't even tell where it was at.

Probably doesn't help you but that was my experience with something similar.

my older lab 2yrs, has the same lump on his knee. when you feel it, it feels like a liquid filled mass. the vet told me it was from laying on the tile floor and suggested a min of 4 inch pad. since going to the pad, it is gone down considerably. so maybe she was right. i also give both the 1 yr old and 2 yr old glucosamine to help with their joints.

If he is not in pain I would let it ride. My Lab got one in both ears that had to be drained. His were painful and big, his ears swelled up with blood and once you put the tube in it for drainage they have to wear a cone.. which beat up the walls the moldings and he didn't like wearing it at all. The drain tube was in for 2wks and had to go back after one wk for a checkup to make sure there is no infection. For the worst case they slice open the ear take out all the dried blood and suture it up in a random pattern so blood can't form pockets. I think in all cases the dog will have a little bit of cauliflower ear if you just leave it or have any procedures done.

Had a lab get one 3 times in the same ear. They were about the size of a grape... never had any of them done at the vet, each went away on their own accord.

After the third one, she had a great cauliflauer ear. Never had another hemotoma though. You could only slightly tell her ear had a deformity when looking at her... Was more when you pet her or looked under the ear that you can tell it was all shriveled up.

I guess I rarely second guess my vet. They give you their honest opinion and get paid for it... If I feel that my question is fairly routine for them, I go with their recommendation. If it is a complex issue, it sometimes helps to get 2 or 3 opinions. This is a routine situation... no need to second guess the vets recomendation.

Good Luck!

Ken