• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bears and Acorns.

Seems like every year we get the bears coming in like crazy and then all of a sudden about a week in things go to a screeching hault. We no long see all the deer in the ditch lines and we no instantly that the acorns have started to fall. Just wondering if any of you guys and found something that I havent to keep there routine going even after all the natural food falls.

Also, does anyone know of a scent to put out that will elimate the bears from coming in? As we get going in to the season we will shut down certain stations knowing they will eventually start going to our next one down the road. Just wish there was something we could use that would speed this process up and stop them from going to the original site.

If your bear pulled out to the natural stuff follow them as you are not going to change them when it comes to acorns, oats or corn.

To stop them use anything K-9 scented. Bears and K-9s whether it is dogs or Timbers do not get along one bit.

I have shut down baits before. Basically somebody will move in next door and now the bear is hitting both baits each night. When I say next door I mean 30-70 yards away. It happens often when some hunter not willing to do the work realizes you are an outfitter. They just set up camp next door. We have even had guys take our sign down and put theirs up. They figured since we are an outfitter we have hundreds of baits that go unattended and we wouldn't notice. In that particular deal as many baits we abandon it was a sow and cubs. We just shut down that bait completely before moving momma and the kids half a mile away to a fully stocked bait that never did get a stand.

I have also had my baits shutdown for me; the ever growing fleet of cameras put an end to that monkey business.

There have been a few reasons why we have wanted to relocate a bear. The main reason is our bait sites are extremely hard to get to and if we have a bear on a sight that is not yet a "shooter" we want to make sure and keep her away from other hunters. As for the K9 scent, our bears must have gotten used to all the wolves. I have wolves and bears visiting the same sights everyday only 10-15 minutes apart from each other. In the past couple years we have noticed a HUGE growth in the population of wolves in our area.