• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diamond Wrap - how to

Been working on my baitcaster and figured id take some pictures and explain how I do a basic diamond wrap...

First you need to mark the 180 degree axis. This can be done rather simple with a ruler/straight edge, some masking tape, and a marking device.

Wrap a piece of tape where the wrap is going to end near the handle and mark it in two places right on top of each other...

020ick.jpg

Then take the tape off and mark the half way point...

021en.jpg

Next your gonna wrap the tape back on with the middle mark directly on top of the rod. Do this with another piece of tape 5 or 6 inches up from the other. No you can lay a straight edge between the two marks and mark the blank at 1/2 or 3/4 inch intervals, top and bottom...

022jes.jpg

Then just tape your thread off to the side and spiral wrap up the blank crossing at the marks...

023fk.jpg

I like to lay a main color of quite a few wraps. I used 10 or 12 here then switched colors...

Stop and pack the threads every 2-3 passes...

024ue.jpg

I went with 5 black wraps then one metallic silver...

004yrp.jpg

Now to finish off an end. Increase your thread tension and start a wrap. Do a good 10 or more wraps...

005fo.jpg

Then cut with a straight razor. Press the razor into the thread the spin the blank...

006vok.jpg

Wrap down and over the cut threads and finish off. I do the same at the handle end and include a hook keeper...

001dj.jpg

Go back and take the time to pack all the threads...

009cr.jpg

This one ain't perfect, one diamond got a little droopy and I used 1/2 inch spacing, I should have used 3/4 - the diamonds would have more of a square look.

Hope this helps someone to try it... cool

Nicely done DC!!! The colors contrast each other well.

If you want outright square spacing, use the formula of the diameter X Pii(3.14) and use the result as you spacing.

I have seen a lot of butt wraps, both my own and others, and I have yet to see one that is absolutely perfect. Always at least one slight flaw.

Thanks guys...

I gave up a long time ago trying to create a perfect rod. If you look close enough there is always one thead thats off, or a dust booger somewhere.

Plus I dont baby my stuff anyways. After one use there will be minnow scales and/or fish do-doo somewhere on the rod... grin