• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lime Springs Help Please

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be heading to Lime Springs next week to stay at my in laws and they have a place that butts up against the Upper Iowa river, right at a Mill or dam I believe. Can anyone tell me what the fishing will be like? I think i've read that it's good smallmouth and walleye fishing. I'll be fishing from the bank only and could use any help at all, i've never even seen the place.

thanks,

kscatman

travis

I grew up five miles north of Lime Springs--the spot you are talking about is Lidtke Mill and Park.

Except for the millpool right behind the dam, the Upper Iowa River in Howard County is way too shallow for a boat. During low water (which should not be an issue right now) even canoeing the river can be a chore, so sticking to shore or wading is not a problem. If you have waders, bring them.

As for the fishing, there are good numbers of smallmouth in the Upper Iowa, especially once you get below the dam at Lidtke Mill.

There are some walleye, but those are only stocked below the dam, not above it. This time of year, the walleye are spread out, not concentrated right below the dam, but can be found in the deeper holes. There are also plenty of rock bass in the Upper Iowa.

The odds are against it, especially the closer you get to Lime Springs, but it is possible to catch trout in the Upper Iowa, as a lot of small trout streams empty in to the river further downstream. I caught a 15" Brook trout a couple years ago between Lime Springs and Granger.

I stick to artificial lures when I'm back in the area fishing the Upper Iowa. No mess carrying artificial lures with me, and I don't need to worry about smallies swallowing the hook, as I prefer to release them all in a small stream like the Upper Iowa that cannot handle heavy harvest.

thanks for the info! I'm gonna bring my waders for sure then. Sounds like I should probably pretty much stick with the smallmouth which is just fine with me. Their land is right at the dam I believe so I'll probably stay really close right around the dam itself. would you suggest fishing below or aove the dam and can you give me any tips on what kinds of baits to bring?

Thanks again!

You'll find smallmouth in the river above the Lidtke Mill dam (and some crappie and bullhead in the millpond right above it), but the smallie action is better in the Upper Iowa below the dam at Lime Springs. That is where the walleye (and possible trout) are, too.

As for tackle, use plugs in natural colors (silver/black). Since the water might still be high this weekend, maybe bring a little brighter stuff too, as well as some crayfish red colors.

when you say below the dam do you mean right there at the dam or are you talking on downstream a little ways from the dam? I have some road runners, bass jig, shakey heads and some topwater tied on now. We are headed there this weekend, and can't wait.