• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kill Switch?

shorefisher

I have a question. My son pulled the Kill switch in our boat (never been pulled before about 20 years old). My question is I put it back to run and when I turn the key the starter turns the motor but it will not start. Should the started run if the switch is stuck or something and just not let it fire or should the whole motor be dead and the kill switch is not my issue? I never pulled a kill switch before so I'm just not sure if the starter should run or not if it is pulled. Thanks for any info you have on this.

Yes, the starter will still spin if the kill switch is released. You might want to try reseating it and rocking the switch back and forth a few times. Probably some corrosion inside that needs to be worked loose.

the kill switch kills the spark, the starter will still crank the motor. i'd check to see if you have spark, if not bypass the kill switch, yhen check for spark again, if you get your spark back with the bypass then replace the kill switch. if your spark is still gone your problems run deeper, and most likely more expensive. good luck.

time to replace the switch tho since it works with slight movement, hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and rocking it now work.

He didn't say there was any slight movement. He turned it on and off a few times, breaking loose any corrosion or whatever was caught between the contacts. It happens with any switch that doesn't get used enough. No need, that I can tell at the moment, to replace anything.

If the switch were intermittent if he put any slight pressure or movement to, then yes replace it.

it all comes down to actual terminology, to me rocking a switch side to side not knowing what type of switch it is would only indicate to me that it is not working 100% and if it is an easy change that could cost a few bucks to change i would be the first one to change it. just a thought. good luck. jeff

Switches contacts are small metallic tips, it is easy to build some oxidation especially when exposed to a moisture rich environment.

Many times the "rubbing" of the contacts cleans themselves from any corrosion.

Heck, I remember when I had radios with "scratchy" volume knob. The solution was turning the volume up and down many times to clean the contacts, and voila' no more scratching.

Maybe rocking the switch was not the correct term to use. I just turned switch from run to off and back a few times. I also checked to see if it would still kill if pulled and it did and also just have to put back in run position to start. thanks again.