• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

After the radishes . . . what?

Steve Foss

My radishes are Speedy Gonzales veggies always, but this year in particular with the cool wet June we've been having. I have three 8-foot-long rows of them, and they'll all be harvested within one week. Got my first big bunch today (mostly Cherry Belle).

Typically, I'll replant radishes in the same place, but it's always a bit of a fight to keep them from bolting or turning too tangy in the heat of midsummer. I pretty much always put in another radish crop at the end of summer to take advantage of cooler early fall, but some years I leave that ground fallow for the last part of June and all of July and most of August. That's about 65-70 growing days. The radish rows are in the front of a raised bed with carrots right behind them.

So what low-growing veggie should I put in there that'll mature by late August, so I can harvest it and replant radishes? We've already got a lot of bush beans, which would be one option. And my wife is not a fan of beets, though I am.

What say you, fellow gardeners?

Thanks, man. I've got two varieties of kohlrabi in the ground and growing.

I've loved the stuff since I was a boy in Sconnie and my dairy farm grandmother grew it. It takes up a lot of room for the yield, but I'll never have a veggie garden that doesn't have at least a couple kohlrabi plants. And the Kossack variety (which is one we have planted) is amazingly large, sweet, and without pith. I'm talking softball size and larger. smile

Kohlrabi, like radish, is best eaten raw and chilled, IMO. My fave way for either one is to pull them in the early morning when they are cool, cut off root and stalk, swish around in the rain barrel and slice and eat right there. Course, ya gotta peel a kohlrabi first. Mmmmmmm!!!!! gringringrin

I like them sliced raw with a bit of ranch dressing. I liken the Kohlrabi to a somewhat bland apple. I am still searching for a favorite variety. I have planted the purple ones, I forget the name, they were good but small. I currently have vienna, I think. Haven't seen seed for Kossack at the local shop. Do you order them?

Peas also grow and produce quickly. Leaf lettuce too.

my top 4 choices would be

onion plants...just grow them for green onions

bibb lettuce... it tastes so good, especially picked a little premature

cilantro....... grows fast in the heat, if you want a recipe got one for a green sauce that is unbelievable!!!!

basil........ germinates fast and again harvest whenever to can pesto

pb, thanks for the suggestions. I'd be divorced if I grew cilantro (wife hates it), and we've already got two lettuce varieties going strong, but onions and basil sound pretty good right now. We're growing neither, and have uses for both. Radishes will be done in a week.

I second the basil. We grow a lot of it from seed all summer and it grows like weeds. To me, there's nothing better than fresh basil on top of fresh tomatoes and sliced mozzeralla drizzled with olive oil and cracked pepper and sea salt on top. Pair that with a medium rare rib eye and some cold beer or merlot and you wonder how it can get any better.

Really? I plant Basil every year and it seems to takes the whole growing season to be big enough for a true harvest. I very much like it and suggest it in every garden, but it seems to take a full season to growth. The seed, note seed, I planted this spring has sprouted, but is now only 1" tall, in 1 1/2 months. Mankato area.

Yes. I plant it in pots since the dog pees on everything on the ground and plant it in a mix of about a third sand, two thirds good black dirt and some pebbles for goog measure. You're supposed to thin it but I like to let it grow into a mound of sorts of smaller leaves. I planted mine about a month ago and am going to start picking soon. Going to start planting another round soon. We're outside of Willmar and keep the pots in direct sun all day.

Really? I plant Basil every year and it seems to takes the whole growing season to be big enough for a true harvest. I very much like it and suggest it in every garden, but it seems to take a full season to growth. The seed, note seed, I planted this spring has sprouted, but is now only 1" tall, in 1 1/2 months. Mankato area.

i am by no means a horticulturalist, and do not know specifics of your soil, but do know that basil likes the heat.....by planting it in early may you might be "stunting" the plant, similar to if you put cucs and peppers out too early. if planting seed directly into the garden, would think planting in june would give you better results. good luck!

Intersesting pushbutton. Have never heard of planting basil to early? I plant by seed, mid may. I consider my soil PRIME, evereything I plant loves it. If you have more specific reccomendations on basil I would like to hear it.

zz

I always buy 1 or 2 basil plants already started. Usually buy them when they are 3-5 inches tall and plant when I plant my tomatoes. The plants are pretty cheap maybe a couple bucks at the high end so I'd recommend going that route. Usually 1 or 2 plants is plenty unless you plan to cut and dry a lot for the winter.

I've started basil from seeds before as well but I started them inside while it was still cold and then transplanted them when I did my tomatoes. That worked just as well.

If you buy a basil plant a few inches tall and plant it in a warm sunny location you'll be harvesting basil in a week or two.

Nothing better than fresh basil. My favorite is a hand made grilled pizza with fresh mozzarella, diced tomatoes, ground sausage, and fresh basil. Wash it down with a beer and I'm a happy camper.

saute any of those in a little olive oil, garlic,green onion, salt, pepper, lemon juice, crumble on some goat cheese......would that even get you to clean your plate so you can leave the table?

Shoot, most ANYTHING fixed like that will be acceptable table fare. Even zucchini! gringrin