• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problem with Tach?

So a couple of different times it seems like my tach is soff by almost 1000 RPM's. I think it mostly happens when I first launch for the day and make my initial run somewhere. I look down and the tach might say 6000 but I'm only going about the speed I would typically be going @ about 5000 RPM's....plus, I can tell just by sound of the motor that it isn't really wound up to 6000.

So then when I get to where I'm going and shut the motor down, the tach still shows about 1000 RPM's. When I fire it back up and run somewhere else the tach seems to be back to normal except that every time I stop, it still shows about 1000 RPM's.

Is a Tach something that needs to calibrated or something???? How do I get it back to normal????

Appreciate any guidance.

Smallie

Don't go replacing the tach without doing a electronic check of the output wires coming into the tach. Best option is borrow one from another boat, make sure it's set to the correct number of poles for the stator on your motor (most tachs have a knob on the back). Connect the borrowed one and see if it has the same issue or do the electronic check in the book.

Tach signal can be off for several reasons including a bad voltage regulator, poor ground, bad stator, etc.

Check it first before buying a new one.