• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

panfish rod and reel combo

what would you guys suggest for a panfish rod and reel combo. i would do all of the following:

- casting jigs

- bobber fishing

- tiny inline spinners

looking to spend anywhere from $100-$200 on this rod and reel combo and was looking for a 6' light action rod. could you give any tips on what you guys like for rods and reels?

thanks

I would go 7-7.5' and ML. I've recommended this rod before, the St. Croix Avid 7'6" MLXF is my best crappie rod and it doubles as a pretty darn good walleye live bait rigging and jig pitching rod. Super soft tip with good backbone and super sensitive. Paird with 4lb fireline, it's tough to miss fish. Reels are another story, more of a personal preference, I run Okuma Inspira size 20.

Fishermans Factory Outlet has Fenwick Light action HMGs 5'9 and 6'6 for $67 and Techna AVs 6'6 Light for $114 (I bought one of these). With free shipping through the 8th. Might be worth a look.

Find yourself a St. Croix Triumph.. same blank/guides/handle as the Avid.. just made in mexico instead of the US... and you will save yourself almost a $100

+1

This is by far my new favorite panfish rod! I use a 6' Light Fast.

I had a few triuphs and will not buy them again.....all the poles I have used that were triuphs had something go wrong with them so I stepped up to the premier for $20 and have been very impressed with them....I have a 7' ML that I have for casting crappie jigs and it doubles as my walleye jigging and rigging rod and I also have a 6' L action that I normally use for bobber fishing but it does some of the casting also. I also have a shimano clarus that is a 6' L action that is a little stiff but I seem to always end up with this in my hand when I am tossing tubes or jigging slowly just off the bottom.....

as for reels I have on a tica cetus ss500 and I love it but the spool is narrow so it not a distance caster and you have to watch when flipping the bail but there isn't a better drag system.....I also have a mitchell Avocett and that is a nice reel with a nice light weight and good drag system and then I have a berkley reel that comes with there combos that I caught on a lake in Canada and have not had a problem with it!!! It is a little bigger than my tica or avocett but it isn't too big and it fight the fish perfectly!!

Good luck on your search

I really really like my Abu Garcia 100i rod and reel combo. At around $50 (Got it for $20 at Pawn America though) it has to be my favorite crappie rod! It has a great sensitive tip feel but enough back bone to set a firm hook as well. The reel has 5 ball bearing and is very smooth with no back play.

I realize you are looking to spend more than this, but if you want a little less spendy Crappie rod as a back-up this is a nice little option. Works well on the nicer pannies too. I believe it is a 6' light power and fast action rod. It also does a nice job as a jigging rod for light biting walleyes.

The Triumph is not the same blank at the Avid. In the Avids they use the SC III graphite and in the Triumph they use the SC II graphite. There is a BIG difference between the two. Also just about all of the hardware is better on the Avids (guides, reel seats etc).

BTW -- my favorite crappie rod is an HSR9000 GLX (7'6" Mag Light) - very expensive and a pain in the butt to transport because it's only one piece. The rod doubles as my rigging and bobber rod for walleyes.

My favorite ultra light is my 6" Ultra Light GL3 with a Sedona 750.