• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Puppy

wplatehunter

Last night we picked up our lab puppy. The dog is going to be 7 weeks. Anyone have any tips on helping the dog get used to its kennel. This is not our first dog, but its been a while sence we had a puppy. It cried a lot the first night. I know it takes time. Thanks

Are you talking a small indoor kennel or what some refer to as a crate? Or an outdoor kennel?

If you are talking about the first this first bit isn't a tip for having the pup get used to the kennel but it is something you may find useful.

Put shredded paper in the kennel. It is something I have done with numerous pups as a precaution to having them "mess" in their kennel. The paper will absorb pee and it catches and holds [PoorWordUsage] if they should happed to do either. The [PoorWordUsage] ends up beeing like a little "mat" and is really easy to clean. Best part, the pup doesn't end up with either all over themselves in a big mess.

It also helps them make a "nest" or "den" a little bit so it my provide a little sense of security which may in turn help the pup get used to the kennel.

A sheet over the kennel may also create more of a "den" atmosphere and may help the pup feel more secure.

Pictures of the pup are forth coming... right? grinwink

Biggest thing is to let it cry/whine. I know it is hard to do but once you go try to give it confort it will know that all it has to do is cry and you will be there. It's very hard! but well worth it. My pup cried for the 1st. 3 nights then setteled down soon it will learn that that is his/her place. another trick is to always leave the door open when you are home so that they get use to coming and going in and out. Use the command "Kennal" and lure it in with a treat a few times. When it goes in give your pup plenty of praise. it will learn quick that making you happy makes it a happier pup.Good luck

Earplugs, earplugs, earplugs. Let him/her cry. Don't give in. Never, ever let him/her out till he/she is quiet.

100% agree, if you give in you just lost the battle and it will make crate training that much more difficult!! Just ignore don't even make eye contact!

I agree, don't give in! We gave the pup a stuffed toy that was almost as big as he was, and that seemed to provide some comfort. We would wake up to find the Pup sleeping with the toy as though it was part of the litter. Later the stuffed toy was destroyed by the pup, but that another issue.

we pulled the kennel to the front room every night when we were watching tv. we did this for both dogs, and it worked great. never had problems with them going to the bathroom in the kennel, just limited water consumption after 7 pm and snacks made sure they did their business before bed and when they whimpered at night was ontop of getting them outside quick. we did not ever allow toys or bones in the kennel nor horseplay. they both have a pillow and couple blankets and a towel in their kennels. soft voices are also helpful.

My smallest pup, less than a year will wake about 5 am and start talking, if i tell him to be quiet he will go back to sleep. the larger lab less than 2 yrs will sleep thru anything. good luck first week is he ll.

Lets see some photos of the little guy...

Another topic that is not really talked about is the human demeanor around the pup.

You have to be calm the first day so the pup gets used to a mellow trusting environment. The sooner the pup trust the new owner the quicker they will be at ease in their new home.

Obviously they can go in and out of the crate at their leisure during the day, but at night after they are tuckered out (ours got tired by 10pm almost like clockwork) then start with the "Kennel" or "Crate" word as you assist them to walk into the crate. I always put a small hand full of regular food in there with our pup and told her to "Sit". She had the "sit" command down the first day, which She always has to do before I open the crate door in the morning also.

As long as your calm and assertive that this is what the pup is suppose to do, and not feel sorry for the pup because they are in the crate. Dogs can sense things and feeling sorry for an animal is a sign of weakness to them and they are not going to trust a weak leader.

When we picked up our pup from the breeder, it was a 2 1/2 hour drive back home...We never held the pup on the drive home because we (wife and I) were new to the pup and we wanted to let her be relaxed and get to know us. She was on a large foam pad in the back seat of my truck (with the seat folded up) and all she did the whole way home was to lay down and watch me as I was driving for the first 1 1/2 hours. I would occasionally turn around and look at her, it seemed like she was assessing the situation and then after that she went to sleep and was pretty calm for the rest of the day and then we let her come to us when we were in the house. We never did have a whiner in the crate, just a yip in the morning for the potty run.

Thanks for the info. The last two nights have been better. He only got up one time last night. He still does not really like the crate, but we are not giving up. Took him out in the boat for the first time tonight with the family. He loves the water as much as the kids do. Looks like I have a new fishing partner. Thanks again.