• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Tires - To Many Blow Outs - Opinions

LooseMoose

not sure why you wont get it weighed, but that is your thing, much cheaper than an alignment etc.

Hi Jeffreyd,

You read my reply to SkunkedAgain (about filling tire to 60psi) and must have thought I was referring to weighing the trailer.

Another good point you make. I assumed that the wheel can handle the same or greater pressure than the tire.

Thanks,

the whole ford/firestone issue was the fact that the wheel was rated for xxx pressure and the tire sidewall rated xxx. how many people really are going to know that the wheel is the maximum rating the tire is the most the rubber will hold. we ran into it a lot of fire equipment. all wheels have the rating stamped on them most times on the inside or axle side of the wheel. we make the outside all shiny but the inside is nasty so be prepared. same with your auto, go by the pressure on the door sticker not the tire itself. not to question i guess i did read the other post and gathered that you were not willing to have it weighed. if it where mine, this would be the first thing then change tires and wheels as required. good luck

don't forget to include the weight of the trailer when calculating load on tires. If the trailer weighs 500 lb, and you have 30 gallons of gas (200 lb) and a couple batteries or maybe three for another 150 lb, so the post about getting it weighed is a good one. Many people forget to add the trailer.

that is why i would ask to dump it on a scale to get total weight off the truck. now you know what the whole thing weighs just sitting in the garage. then you could hook up and get a true tongue weight. then with that info go to a tire shop (reputable) and get their thoughts. Not just the fancy good looking product but the ones that will take the weight, road abuse, water, and drying. Ensuring that your fenders are properly spaced away from the top of the tire to make sure you do not rub when the axle and springs flex going down the road or that they dont hit the top inside of the fender when turning. The tire will flex we all know the axle does not turn nor do the wheels so they simply drag around corners. Good luck. let us know what you come up with.

I appreciate all the good ideas and suggestions! I now know more about trailers, tires and wheels, which helps when going into the shop. A guy needs to have some idea whats going on or you can be taken for a ride.

I had one suggestion of where to take it any others? I live near Taylors Falls but comute to Maple Grove for work.

Thanks again,

Don't go with anything with a plus in it's name. Nothing but very bad experiences with them.

I use the nation wide chain that has a discount in the name for a few reasons. My 2 local tire shops are very expensive. I love supporting the little guy but when we are talking $100 more on a set of 4 tires I draw the line. The warranties on the trailer tire replacement has more than paid for itself for me. I keep the paper work in the truck with me and a copy in my folder for whatever trailer it's from. I've worked with them on a lot of things and my dad, brother and uncle all take thier stuff to the same shop so that helps. The managers been there a while and is great to deal with. My mom even goes in and gets her tires on their car rotated and brings them donuts so that doesn't hurt.

If I'm away from home I know I have at least a chance a shop might be somewhat close by where I can get a tire replaced fairly easy.

Good luck with it.

to the original poster...Carlisle's are prone to blow outs. I avoid them at all costs. Marathon's are always worth the extra money. If you haven't had unusual tire wear, save the cost of an alignment and spend the extra money on marathon's.

The suggestions on the scale and trailer size are good but try this...stand on a bathroom scale to weigh yourself. Now jump up and down and see how much the number goes up. Consider that when you hit a dip in the road at highways speeds. This is why I always "Over Trailer" the boat and the higher rated tires go along with that.

Always put the heaviest items like your cooler of beverages in the truck, not the boat. I bent an axle on a boat trailer by trying to save space in the truck once and I won't do it again.

ccarlson

Thanks for the additional replys/information.

Update: Wasn't able to make any progress this past weekend on the tire situation. I plan on getting some quotes on the Goodyear Marathons and maybe an alignment check this week. I'am also very curious as to what my rig actually weighs so I'll also try to find a place (grainery, truck stop, etc.)to get that done too.

Yup, that Goodyear statement says 10psi "above the recommended pressure," not above the maximum psi. Plus it goes on to state not to exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

In an earlier post, you stated that you could inflate them to 60psi but that you hadn't tried it. I was concerned that you were considering doing that. Either way, it sounds like you might just take your trailer to a tire shop and have them look at it. They can check the alignment, balance, etc....and also try to sell you new tires, so watch out! Good luck.

Actually, it says nothing about not going beyond 50 psi...says +10 psi over recommended pressure for load. If the tire is loaded to max and pressure for max is 50 psi, then to me 60 psi would be acceptable for high speed use (assuming wheel could take it).

If it is not permissible to go beyond the pressure indicated on the sidewall (which is generally for max load under standard/normal conditions) then the bulletin should clearly state that (to the effect of "add 10psi for high speed use, but do not exceed pressure indicated on sidewall"), and it doesn't seem to.

Probably would be helpful to know the nature of the failures too, a good tire shop should be able to help with that.